[CORBETTLIST] 43678: Clerie (reply): 43675: Devillers: Clerie (Reply): 43669: Rouzier: RE:43654:Opperman: RE: 43653: Durban: Comment re. Curci asks advice for Haitian friend in NYC

  • From: "Moderator" <moderator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: corbettlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 07:15:05 -0700

Subject:  Clerie (reply): 43675: Devillers: Clerie (Reply): 43669:

From: Philippe Clérié <philippe@xxxxxxxx>

> I for one, with close to 40 years of Haiti behind me, can tell you that
> Haiti is very rich in these aspects :- culture- creative arts- literature-
> history- entrepreneurship- resilience in face of catastrophes- sense of
> humor- smiles - even the flowery Creole language that was formed out of
> various languages.And then some I'm sure I'm missing.

Agreed! :-)

But then, these are all very much true of any human society, and as such
are generic riches that we share with all other human beings.

> Sometimes these riches are worth at lot more than finances. At least they

Agreed! :-)

That's also true everywhere else. But, as you mention, only "sometimes"
and not "always".

> have helped the Haitian people to survive 'til today and to forge
> themselves a unique identity. What is more important : To be or to have?
> that is the question.

Well, I want both. I want the luxury of being and the comfort of having.
It's not a choice I or anyone should have or need to make.

Best
Philippe