[contestms-dev] Re: Fwd: Better Public Cloud support for CMS

  • From: Giovanni Mascellani <mascellani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: contestms-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 00:30:13 +0200

Hi Motiejus.

Il 01/10/2015 10:05, Motiejus Jakštys ha scritto:

Ideally, the servers could auto-discover themselves. You start a
server (or a Docker container), it knows its role. It should be able
to add itself to the cluster automatically without further
handholding.

Speaking also on behalf of the other core developers, we fully agree
that the current situation is far from ideal. It is pretty tedious to
configure even a very simple contest with just a few servers.

I do not know the technical solutions you are proposing (etcd, consul,
...), so I cannot speak for those. What I think CMS should head towards
is to get rid of the cms.conf file as much as possible. Ideally services
should just be started with a reference to the database and the role
they have to fulfill. Then they should find in the database everything
the need (except for those few things that really are machine-specific
and really it makes no sense to configure dynamically).

Unfortunately, for the time being, no one of us has time to work on
this. So unless someone has and wants to contribute, this is not
becoming real in the next future.

However, and especially as long as no one has time to do anything else,
I think that a system like the one you are proposing may be useful. Not
being expert in this kind of technologies I do not have a clear idea of
how much integration in CMS would be desirable. My feeling is that it
would better stay as an independent solution and not mix with CMS
services, but even in that case we can host it in a repository under the
cms-dev organization on GitHub.

Thanks, Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <giovanni.mascellani@xxxxxx>
PhD Student - Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy

http://poisson.phc.unipi.it/~mascellani