[CTS] Re: Uninstalling copies of AOL/problem

  • From: Cuffy10@xxxxxxx
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:24:49 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/04 3:10:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jmacwhirter@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hi Jackie: Good to hear from you-- I think you should uninstall all your
> copies of AOL- probably a dll is corrupted. Edit your registry and look for
> files for AOL on you drive clean it out  run scandisk and defrag and then do
> fresh install -- Jackie from Niagara Falls

I think this is a good plan !  Forget the Add/Remove..... slash and burn in
the Registry !
Wipe out all entries in the Registry for AOL and America Online. run scandisk
to verify the hard drive media and then reinstall AOL 9.0.
Save your .pfc files for posperity, or just in case and your addy's are on
the server so they are safe.
Your Registry size should decrease by about one third, or more. AOL is bigger
than Windows now I think. They split it out and put files in several places
with Real, AOL Companion, and AOL Coach to name a few. I'd remove anything that
smells like AOL before I reinstalled.

I'd also reinstall IE6.0 after reinstalling AOL too.