[CTS] PSU and Caveat Emptor

  • From: cuffy10@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "CTS" <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 20:24:52 -0800

http://tinyurl.com/3y9twe

He's pointed out some obvious defects but failed to mention the
step-down transformer.
To use 12v DC power from a PSU the voltage has to be stepped down from
120v AC to 12v DC.
The more power you draw from the unit the more heat is generated and
that heat is usually handled by a load of copper in the windings of the
transformer coils. No copper........ much heat........... bad news.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Young Year YP-AB Transparent Power Supply
Author: Gabriel Torres
Type: First Look  Last Updated: January 15, 2007
Page: 5 of 7  Select Page to Load Introduction Introduction (Cont?d) A
Look Inside Young Year YP-AB Component Analysis Power Analysis Main
Features Conclusions

$ Check REAL-TIME pricing for Antec Neo HE 550 550-Watt Power Supply
Products $
Mwave.com: $105.80 Newegg.com: $109.99
RitzCamera.com: $110.75 WolfCamera.com: $110.75
cameraworld.com: $110.75

Power Analysis
The joke about this power supply starts on the manufacturer website. As
you can see there, all their models are deliberately overspec?ed. For
example, the ?YP620-AB? model is a ?550 W? model, believe it or not. And
even then it is stated that the main positive voltages cannot deliver
more than 500 W together. This would mean that the other outputs (-5 V,
-12 V and +5VSB) could deliver the remaining 50 W, right? But if you add
things up you will notice that they can only deliver 21.1 W (1.5 W + 9.6
W + 10 W). What a joke.

If you take the 500 W model sold by Apevia (ATX-AS500W-BL), you will see
that it has the same label as the Young Year YP-600-AB model, which is
labeled by Young Year as a 500 W unit. But on Apevia?s website there is
one interesting thing. Two, as a matter of fact. The first one is that
contrary to Young Year?s website all the currents are labeled as
?maximum?, with lower specs labeled as ?normal?. These ?normal? currents
would be 20 A for the +3.3 V output (instead of 28 A), 24 A for the +5 V
output (instead of 30 A) and 25 A for the +12 V output (instead of 34
A). Even then we think these numbers aren?t real, as we shall discuss in
more details in a moment. The second thing we notice was this funny
typo, where ?tolerance? was written ?torrance?.

The model we bought was labeled by Brazilian distributor Leadership as a
550 W model, and the crazy thing about it is that is impossible to find
any model at Young Year?s website that has the same label as this unit.
Even worse, as you can see on Figure 15, the label also lists the specs
for two other models, 600 W and 700 W, and we can?t find at Young Year?s
website any product with the same power specs. So we think Young Year
will simply print whatever you pay them to print. Do you want a 900 W
power supply? No problem, we will make the sticker for you!

As we saw on the previous page, the +3.3 V, +5 V and +12 V rectifiers
used by this power supply can only deliver up to 30 A (99 W), 30 A (150
W) and 10 A (120 W), respectively
 Keep in mind that these are the maximum currents and power specs for
 the rectifiers only,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

the maximum current/power the power supply is able to deliver will
depend on the other components used, especially on the transformer, on
the coils, on the electrolytic capacitors and even on the width of the
printed circuit board traces
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chas, when your PSU popped I'm betting 10 to 1 the pop was caused by the
electrolytic caps mentioned just above when they overheated, overloaded,
and tired. ( Much like me, come to think of it !)

--

  cuffy10@xxxxxxxxxxx

 ** YOUR HELP IS URGENTLY NEEDED **
DONATE to Hurricane Katrina victims: http://www.redcross.org/