[CTS] OT: Lung association ranks most polluted cities

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <crbgfblab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 04:18:49 -0700

Well look what we have here. ;-)

Just a snippit. The whole article can be found at:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/04/28/air.pollution/index.html

(CNN) -- Southern California tops the list of the nation's cities and counties
most threatened by air pollution, according to the American Lung Association's
annual report.

This year, for the first time, the report includes "particle pollution" as well
as smog. Particle pollution refers to the microscopic soot-like particles
produced by power plant emissions, diesel exhausts, wood burning, and other
sources.

The association says more than one-quarter of Americans live in areas where
particle pollution reaches unhealthy levels. Almost half live in areas with
health-threatening levels of ozone pollution, or smog.

Those numbers mark a slight improvement over past years, according to the
association's president, John Kirkwood.

"I think we can attribute that to cleaner cars and enforcement of the Clean Air
Act, and improved control technology that has reduced hydrocarbons," Kirkwood
said.

Of the metropolitan areas most polluted by particle pollution year-round, the
top four are in California.

"Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage"

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm