[CTS] Merjin and "thesearchmall.com" toolbar

  • From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhb57@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Computer Talk Shop List" <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:18:08 -0500

Merjin.com's downloads are fantastic - many of you on the list know this by
now. I recently had a hijacker of a "thesearchmall.com" toolbar and nasty
(even by my pornographic standards) pop ups show up one day and none of the
spyware or AV things caught onto it except the dropper virus/trojan that
came along with it. I got the dropper thing fixed and not until I got Hijack
This did the rest go away - excellent tool. I also ran one of the other
tools - startup list:

"Official downloads
StartupList (zipped): A simple tool that lists all and every auto starting
program on your system. You might be surprised what it finds, this is way
better than Msconfig. Commonly used to troubleshoot malfunctioning systems,
trojan/viral infections, new spyware/malware breed and the likes.
Currently at version: 1.52.1
(Mirror @ LurkHere) "

This is better than msconfig - found two unauthorized yet running (minor
though) apps running on two of my machines - gone now. Thought I'd share
this with you as Sunday nothing was on google about "thesearchmall.com" yet
today over a dozen hits come up in google and other search engines about it.

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm