[CTS] ISOBuster ..... Free or Not

  • From: Cuffy10@xxxxxxx
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:18:08 EST

    Infopackets Gazette: February 15,  2005

> In this  Issue
    *   Feature Article: Answers.com: 1-click  answers to 1 million topics at
your fingertips, Part 2
    *   Visitor Feedback: Reclaim lost data on  CD?, Part 2
    *   On this Day in History
    *   Bob's Freeware Picks of the  Day
    *   Subscription management: subscribe,  remove, etc.

> How many  potentially disastrous errors are lurking inside your Registry?
    *    (http://www.infopackets.com/gazette/20040727.htm#feature) Fact: Over
time, programs are installed and  uninstalled to a Windows PC, and the
_System Registry_ (http://www.infopackets.com/articles/systemregistry.htm)
becomes
bloated with incorrect  and outdated information.
    *   Fact: Many of the attributes in the Registry point to  critical
system files, called .DLL files.
    *   Fact: All too often, poorly designed programs make erroneous  changes
to .DLL references in the Registry.  This can cause Windows  to behave
erratically, produce strange error messages, slow down, or  even crash
spontaneously.
    *   Fact: Registry Mechanic is a free  download and can resolve all of
these issues in only a few  simple mouse clicks.
How does it work?  Answer:
_http://www.infopackets.com/gazette/20040727.htm#feature_
(http://www.infopackets.com/gazette/20040727.htm#feature)

> Feature Article
Title: Answers.com: 1-click answers to 1 million topics at your  fingertips,
Part 2  Category: Internet  by Dennis Faas,  infopackets editor
_http://www.infopackets.com_ (http://www.infopackets.com/)

Last week, I wrote about a new, free service called answers.com that offers
'1-click answers to 1  million topics at your fingertips.' Since the article
was published, I've  received a number of positive emails.
Gazette Reader Dawn B. writes:
" Dear Dennis,
Recently, my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I have been  scouring
the Internet for anything I could find pertaining to his  illness, but was
discouraged by all the irrelevant pages and 'page not  found' errors.
After I read your article on answers.com, I decided to give it a try.  Let me
tell you -- I was completely  amazed! Answers.com immediately directed to
pages where I was  able to find the answers I was looking for. I played around
with the  site for a while after that to see just how useful it really was, and

found that it was able to take me to every place I needed to find  answers
for what I was seeking.
I just wanted to say thank you for  putting this information on your site for
all of us readers out here. I  really do enjoy your newsletter and am
grateful for all your hard work  on making things better for all of us out here
in
cyber-world!  "
Lockergnome Windows Fanatic Bernice D. writes:
" Hi Dennis, love your columns!
I just wanted to comment on your latest recommendation (answers.com)  -- it
truly is the cats meow!  It is simply one of the best all around 'answer'
programs around today.  It eliminates probably 3 or 4 (or more!) other
resources
for same type  of info.
The ease of the downloaded portion of the site is super. I installed  it
immediately on the PC, and my 10 year old uses  it to assist her when looking
up
things for school or just to  learn on her own. She absolutely loves  it!
Thanks again, Dennis, and keep up your invaluable work!  "
Answers.com: read the Full Review
Just a reminder: if you haven't already read my review on Answers.com  -- you
can read about it online our web site. Highly recommended!
_http://www.infopackets.com/gazette/20050209.htm#feature_
(http://www.infopackets.com/gazette/20050209.htm#feature)

> Do you Google?
 (http://www.infopackets.com/gazette/20040916.htm#feature) Everyone knows
that Google.com is the best search  engine on the Internet, with over 250
million queries per day (Source: _google.angel-cage.de_
(http://www.google.angel-cage.de/html/newsstatistics0704.html) ).  And, if
you've used  Google before,
then you've probably noted tiny ad placements (called  AdWords) located to the
right of Search results.
But did you know that regular people -- like yourself -- are generating  a
substantial second income simply by creating their own AdWord campaigns  in
their spare time? It's true -- and you can do it, too.
So, how does it work?  Answer:
_http://www.infopackets.com/gazette/20040916.htm#feature_
(http://www.infopackets.com/gazette/20040916.htm#feature)

> Visitor Feedback
Title: Reclaim lost data on CD?, Part 2  Category:  Windows  by Dennis Faas,
infopackets editor  _http://www.infopackets.com_
(http://www.infopackets.com/)
Recall --
Last week I talked about a utility called ISOBuster, which is able to
retrieve data from  stubborn DVD and CDs. Unfortunately I wasn't 100% correct
when I
reported  that ISOBuster is freeware. To better explain ISOBuster's 'freeware'
 functionality, the author of ISOBuster (Peter Van Hove) emailed me the
following message:
" Dear Dennis,
I saw in today's newsletter that you mentioned ISOBuster which is  GREAT! And
you're right, ISOBuster is ideal for data recovery from CD  and DVD --
especially for getting data back from CDs created with  DirectCD, Drag 2 Disc,
InCD,
DLA and other similar programs.
Besides a well meant 'thank you' for mentioning ISOBuster, I also  wanted to
let you know that IsoBuster is not 100% free as you mention. I  just thought
I'd let you know because (and speaking from experience  here) I'm guessing you
will be receiving messages now saying ... 'Hey,  despite what you said, this
software is not free!'
That is because ISOBuster is part freeware and part shareware. A part  of the
functionality is entirely for free (no nags or anything) and you  may use
ISOBuster for years and never notice anything. But another part  of the
functionality needs a valid registration. There are no hidden  features but if
you run
into functionality you need to pay for you get a  message saying, "For this
functionality you need to register."
OK, so what does ISOBuster do that is free?
All functionality related to the ISO9660, Joliet, Rock Ridge and CD-i
file-systems, and everything related to Video CDs etc. and all  image-file
making
functionality. So finding data, extracting (copying)  files of this nature will
work (which also accounts for the bulk of CDs  and DVDs out there).
What needs to be paid for: the actual extraction of files *if* the  files
come from the UDF or HFS(+) file-systems [macintosh]. So. all  functionality is
present but if you actually want to extract (copy) a  file from the UDF
file-system you need a valid registration.
UDF is used by the drag and drop applications that you mentioned. So,
DirectCD writes data in the UDF file-system (e.g. before it converts
everything to
an ISO9660 file-system on CD-R) and hence ISOBuster is  not free for recovery
from these types CDs and DVDs.
One more remark, a registration  (license) for ISOBuster costs 25.95$  US and
is deliberately kept low to be able to offer a  solution to everybody who
gets into troubles. Before ISOBuster prices  went through the roof if you
wanted
to get your data restored, I have  seen prices up to 2000 $US per disc (can
you imagine?).
I develop software to make a living and with all this free stuff and  low
prices I realize I will never get 'loaded' and be able to afford  grand luxury,
but it puts a roof over my head, brings food on the table  and I get all this
wonderful feedback from people who were able to get  their data back ... which
makes it all worthwhile.
Thanks again for mentioning ISOBuster in your newsletter. "
_http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/_
(http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/)