[CTS] Re: Help!

  • From: "Peter" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:05:54 -0500

Assuming you are running NT/2000 [You did not mention it], task manager
should be sufficient for your purpose. By default, it is only configured to
display usage of actual physical RAM, but with some tweaking, you can get it
to display useful info. [ VIEW menu ]

TOP & TLIST from the resource kit can also be used.

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/index.htm

Tip from my mailing list:
ELIMINATE APPS YOU DON'T REGULARLY USE

PROBLEM: Your PC takes a long time to boot up, and applications
you don't need appear in the Windows system tray.

SOLUTION: Run the free System Configuration Utility -- it comes
built into Windows -- to eliminate applications you don't
routinely use or want running at startup. This can dramatically
reduce your PC's boot-up time. Take the following steps: Go to
Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information,
then go to Microsoft System Information's Tools menu and choose
System Configuration Utility. (Alternately just run Msconfig.exe.)
Click on the StartUp tab and scroll down the list. To suppress an
item clear its check box. You can carefully apply the same tactics
to the tool's other tabs: Config.sys, Autoexec.bat, System.ini,
and Win.ini. When done, click OK, and restart your computer when
asked.

Peter