[CTS] Heads UP.... from Lockergnome

  • From: Cuffy10@xxxxxxx
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 15:42:17 EST

Fridayâs article, _A Readerâs Favorites_
(http://channels.lockergnome.com/windows/archives/20050204_a_readers_favorites.phtml)
 , contained a  link to one
readerâs page of web favorites. If you visit that site, DO NOT click  on the
link âYouâve Got Mail!â The link takes you to a site that will attempt to

infect you with the trojan Java/OpenStream.t. Here is one readerâs
experience:
Went to Alexâs site and started to check out some links (see if anything
might be interesting). The second one I clicked opened a MAJOR can-of-worms! It

opened its own new window (http://www.mail.monsterserver.com) and proceeded to
 try and download software, adware, spyware, and tried to hijack IE! And what
was  really scarier to me was, Firefox is my default browser and that is what
I was  using at the time! Zone Alarm Pro 5, PrevX IDS, SpyBot-S&D, WinPatrol
all  went ânutsâ trying to warn me. After I placated everybody, I started
up
Spy  Sweeper and M$ A-S beta, and they both went ânutsâ (spyware, adware,
hijackers  all wanting to install programs!). Below is the lettering of the
link
(I  stripped-out HTML, scared me to death!) Youâve Got Mail! Cool WAV
Archive. Huge. Use it. Donât get bored. Check it out, be VERY careful,  and
get the
word out! Been a reader for years. But this is a first and it  woke me right
up!
Thanks to UFH for the heads up!
_Lockergnome's Windows  Fanatics_ (http://channels.lockergnome.com/windows/)
    (http://feeds.lockergnome.com/rss/windows.xml)