[CTS] Fwd: An Awesome PC; Dangerous New Viruses; Google's Gmail; Extreme Home Netwo...

  • From: Cuffy10@xxxxxxx
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 13:25:29 EDT

Must be something of interest here ?
--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Inside PC Magazine Online <PCM_Insider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cuffy10@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:54:06 UT
Title: Inside PCMag.com
PCMag.com
      HOME    |    REVIEWS    |    DOWNLOADS    |    SOLUTIONS    |    NEWS    |    OPINIONS    |    SHOP    |    DISCUSSIONS
   April 5, 2004

      I N   T H I S   I S S U E

Welcome to today's edition of Inside PCMag.com.

Is your computer running a little sluggish lately? It could be the files filling up your Internet or even your Windows temp folders. You should clean them out regularly. But wait. Before you rush to tidy up, let's stop and take a look at some numbers. Can you tell us how many files you have in each of these folders and how large each of the folders has become? Tell us in the forums.

First Looks: Understatedly Awesome
Security Watch: Sober and Bagle Make a Dangerous Return
News: Google to Offer Free E-Mail
Comparison: Extreme Home Networking
How To: PC-to-Server Made Easy
How To: Working Together
Cover story: Top 200 Web Sites
Product Bulletin: Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c

First Looks: Understatedly Awesome
A little bit of flash in a desktop PC is a welcome change from the beige and gray boxes of old, but it doesn't add up to much unless it's coupled with some far flashier performance. The ABS Awesome 6300, based on the zippy AMD Athlon 64 FX-53, has the performance side covered in spades and offers just enough flash to raise it more than a few notches above the ordinary. For more details on the 64-bit powerhouse, read our hands-on review.

Security Watch: Sober and Bagle Make a Dangerous Return
The unhappy parade of Bagle and Sober viruses continues with two new, nasty variants on each. Read our latest Security Watch Letter to learn how to identify these viruses and prevent them from messing with your systems.

News: Google to Offer Free E-Mail
April Fools' Day announcement or not, Google insisted last week that its introduction of a new free mail service is no joke. Find it hard to believe that Google's preparing to take on Microsoft's Hotmail service with a free 1GB service of its own? Read our analysis and get the startling truth.

Comparison: Extreme Home Networking
More than a few of us around the office are hooked on all these home improvement and makeover shows where they transform a person, his living room, or even his entire house into something remarkable. PC Magazine has gotten the bug, too. We've completed our first Extreme Home Networking conversion, and we did it to two of our own contributing editors, Bruce and Marge Brown. Follow along, step by step, as we guide the Browns and you through the process.

How To: PC-to-Server Made Easy
Finally, a decent use for your old Pentium II or III PC--make it a server. We tell you how to get the job done right and save your old equipment from the trash heap.

How To: Working Together
It should be easy to set up a workgroup or domain across connected Windows XP systems. But is it? Nope. No worries. Our mini guide can make the process as painless as possible.

Cover story: Top 200 Web Sites
Remember the last Star Trek movie to feature the original crew (Captain Kirk et al). It was all about the undiscovered country. It wasn't very good (even Trekkies disliked it), but the concept of there always being something new out there to explore resonates not only in outer space, but in cyberspace as well. That's why we have an all-new list of undiscovered treasures from the Web; sites that you simply didn't know you couldn't live without. There's also a list of 100 trusty favorites, or classics as we like to call them. It's a list that could make your surfing life quite complete for some time to come, until, of course, we go exploring again for new uncharted territory.

Go straight to:

The Best in Computing Sites
Our Favorite Consumer Electronics and Photography Destinations
The Best Sites for an Election Year
The Best Getaway Sites
Top 100 Classics
Put our links on your desktops with this exclusive download.

Product Bulletin: Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c
Plus: Casio Exilim Zoom EX-Z40 and SMC Barricade Routers.

The PCMag.com Bookstore

PC Magazine's Best of the Internet
With 1,000 Web sites on 100 categories, this may be the most comprehensive Best Web Sites list yet!

PC Magazine Guide to Home Networking
Ready to plunge into creating your own home network? Reading this book is like having PC Magazine contributing editor Les Freed drop by and set the whole thing up for you.

More Books

Dell Special Offers
Brought to you by Dell

Get Exclusive Savings from Dell! Sign up for Dell Small Business e-mail updates now. Get timely information about our latest offers, products and promotions, and receive exclusive subscriber-only savings! Click here to sign up today!

eNewsletter Information
You are subscribed to Inside PCMag.com with the email address cuffy10@xxxxxxxx Click here to unsubscribe from this newsletter.

To subscribe to other e-mail newsletters from Ziff Davis, change your delivery format from HTML to text, or change your email address, click here.

Copyright © 2004 Ziff Davis Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Ziff Davis Media Inc., 28 East 28th Street, New York, NY 10016

ALSO OF INTEREST
Linux in the Channel
Linux Sun Settles With Microsoft, Cuts Jobs
Top 100 Undiscovered Web Sites
Gateway To Close All Retail Stores

FREE ONLINE NEWSLETTERS

Database & Business Intelligence
Developer & Web Services
Enterprise Applications
What's New Now
Ziff Davis Channel Zone
PCMag.com Small Business
HTML Text
Email address:

SUBSCRIBE TO PC MAGAZINE
Limited Time Offer: Get PC Magazine in Digital Format for just $9.99!

An Alliance Model That Works
Wall Street Soft on Integrators
Will a Government Probe Slay Titan Corp.?
New Products and Deals

EVENTS

4/6 Securing the Client Tier from Today's Blended Threats
FREE eSeminar! Standalone security technologies are no longer sufficient to protect desktop and laptop computers from intrusions and blended threats. Because of increasingly complex threats and the open nature of today's corporate networks, the client is one of the most vulnerable parts of IT infrastructure. These machines need extra protection. Attend this informative and educational eSeminar to find out how your organization can take advantage of the integrated threat response features of Client Security.
Register now!

Sign up for Dell e-mail updates today!
Get huge deals on the technology your business needs, new product info and more! U.S. only. Subscribe now!
First Name:

Last Name:

Email:

How many are employed at your company, including all locations?
Choose One 1-9 10-49 50-99 100-199 200-499 500-999 1,000-3,499 3,500-4,999 5,000-9,999 10,000-up N/A
Submit

FREE GUIDE TO MICROSOFT
PROJECTS AND CODE NAMES
Get our latest rundown on MSFT projects and ship dates free when you subscribe to Microsoft Watch.

Click for free guide and 14-day risk-free newsletter trial.

--- End Message ---