[CTS] Re: Eithernet.

  • From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhb57@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 23:09:22 -0600

Easiest and most expandable/modifiable is a Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS
(higher speed on wireless). You hook your DSL or cable modem supplied by the
provider to the WAN connection, then for wired connections you hook up each
PC to each of the 4 LAN ports if using cabled networking. If you desire
wireless then be sure to get all 802.11G type cards/devices as if  you mix
802.11B (11mbps) and 802.11G (54mbps) devices on the wireless and have mixed
mode the system will only go as fast as the slowest mode device, meaning if
you had 3 PCs on G/54 and just 1 as B/11 the wireless section (access point)
of the WRT54G/GS router will kick down to B/11 so your 3 G/54 devices will
only work as B/11 items (since most G/54 devices are backwards compatible
with the B/11 mode and the access point is only working at B/11). It's like
calling a BBS of old with a 2400 baud modem with your superdooper PC with a
54K baud modem - once they negotiate the fastest the transaction will go is
2400 since the slowest device is the fastest that it can go and that the 54K
device switches back to work with older units/standards.

802.11A is on a different frequency and not in use much for personal
networks. It works in the 5.x ghz spectrum where 802.11B and 802.11G work at
2.4 ghz. Best bet is stick with the 54 mbps standard which is the max of the
WRT54G's access point and the most common in use right now (might change
next week the way things go with this IT crap).

Well back to working on my 1983 IBM 5160 PC/XT - reloading DOS 6.22 on it's
teenie 10mb hard drive. It came with 2.11 originally but that sucks. Hope to
find my 1985 Commodore C-128D in the storage building in the near future.