[CTS] Defrag?

  • From: Cuffy10@xxxxxxx
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:26:04 EST

The Costs of Fragmentation
International Data Corporation (IDC), in a  white paper entitled âDisk
Defragmentation for
Windows NT/2000, Hidden Gold  for the Enterprise,â estimated that the global
cost of
fragmentation is $50  billion annually. There are many factors that
contribute to this cost  and
some of them are not all that obvious. We will now examine the components  of
the costs of
fragmentation and how they affect an  organization.
Productivity
Defragmentation improves system performance,  resulting in improved end user
productivity. But
how can this be measured and  quantified? Most defragmentation software
vendors provide tools
that let you  measure the time it takes to read a file before defragmentation
and after.  Testing has
shown that defragmentation can improve I/O performance by 30-50%.  The IDC
report says 30-
85%. If you can improve every I/O on a server by 30%,  what is the savings in
terms of
productivity?