[CTS] Re: Crash of 2007 - (Was D@$#%@^^ IT!)

  • From: cuffy10@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:42:37 -0800

 I just ordered a 250GB Seagate Sata, five year warranty, $74.99, from
 NewEgg.
 There's a boot manager below ! and you really lucked out with the files
 !

HelzBelz

Joined: 12-07-2005
Total Posts: 1  Re: Boot Manager  Posted: Yesterday, 8:07 PM

Here's another suggestion: GAG, The Graphical Boot Manager

http://gag.sourceforge.net/

It's simple, graphical and lets you rearrange drive letters (to force
one drive as C:).  You can even hide primary partitions: since Windows
prefers only one primary partition (and ususally be installed on it),
this is useful to "hide" any other OSes from the one you select; in your
case, hiding MCE from Vista or vice-versa.  Works perfectly to hide or
boot from Linux partitions too!

This little piece of software will install in the MBR (the first sector
on a hard drive, which is the place to be for a boot manager).  But
don't worry: you can play around with GAG, finding partitions and adding
new OSes, but the MBR will only be written when YOU tell GAG to "Write
to Hard Drive"...  So, if you're not sure, you can even write your brand
new GAG setup to a floppy; then, booting from this floppy, you will get
to your same GAG screen.

I've been using GAG for years, and never had a problem.   Other boot
managers have their advantages, but GAG was so easy to learn and use
that I simply stuck with it.

Good luck!

HelzBelz

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:20:02 -0800, "Charles R. Buchanan"
<daphatbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> No need Joe, managed to get everything off of it. Won't be for another
> couple of weeks until I'll be able to get it replaced though. :-(
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:07:56 -0800, cuffy10@xxxxxxxxxxx took time to say
> the following:
>
> (^_^)Put the bad drive in a ziplock and then stuff it in the freezer
> (^_^)overnight. If it's cold-soaked you may get it to run long enough to
> move
> (^_^)your files.
> (^_^)Don't take it out of the freezer until you're ready to plug it in
> and
> (^_^)run it !
> (^_^)Good luck !
>

> For what is a man, what has he got?
> If not himself, then he has naught
> To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels
>
>  ** YOUR HELP IS URGENTLY NEEDED **
> DONATE to Hurricane Katrina victims: http://www.redcross.org/
> DONATE Housing (Spare room, shelter) http://www.hurricanehousing.org/

> Computer Talk Shop http://www.computertalkshop.com