[CTS] Re: Anti Virus (Corporate)

  • From: "Eric C. Vogel" <ECVogel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:39:35 -0500

There are 6 PC's and 1 Server here. Already have to run around with the
Microsoft Secuirity patches.... The desktops will grab the def.'s. We have
DSL, old adverages was 300k/300k today it was ~ 715k/715k so there must have
been some improvments by DirecTv and Worldcom in the past year.

Now that DirecTv is dumping DSL and giving us a 30 day notice...... We are
gonig to hold out to see if Worldcom or the last mile carrier will pick us
up. We pay $50/$60 a month for 768k/128k with 1 static IP. (Note the true
speeds above. We must have SDSL.)

Now if they drop us and have to pick up the cheaper, Ameritech (SBC) and pay
$80 for 5 static (only need one) $400 for a router for 6 PC's. (Only need
Gateway or SBS 2000 Server goes that) and get 768k up to 1.5 Mpbs and
outgoing @ 256k. Won't see a whole lot here, but boss may see some VPNing in
and RDP'ing (XP Remote Desktop (Protocol)). The package with Telcity was
home (Was not my call), but DirecTv picked it up and made it a Home/Small
Biz plan.) We were even on the Rythems backbone at once so we been through
alot.

I tired TimeWarner RoadRunner, in this area and cannot get it (nor
Earthinlink Cable, as they use TW) I assume they see the address as a
business, which is fine, I was hoping by now they would have a Pro plan or
something for businesses. I think mine does for $90 a month. (Home based TW
is a Dynamic IP (YUK!)).

Thank you,
Eric Vogel