[COMP] Re: disk temperature worries

  • From: Bruno Van de Casteele <brunovdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:27:14 +0200

|Anyone have any experience with hard drive coolers?  I've got a pair of=20
|7200 rpm disks in FreeLists now (RAID-1), and they get pretty hot when=20
|there's a lot of disk activity.  Is the heat really something to worry=20
|about?

actually yes. Not as bad as for processors though, but cooling the disks
might improve the speed and keep them running longeR.
But don't worry about it when the heat disappears very quickly. A good
box can help here.
|And which style of cooler is better - the one that attaches to the bottom=
=20
|of the disk, or the one that's like a drive sled for 5 1/4" disk bays?

Just checking: with the first one you mean another 3inch thing you mount
above (yes) or below (or both) your harddisk, with fans sucking in wind
=66rom the front? And the second one is the same, but the hard disk is
'embedded' in a bigger slot?
So, from what I've heart, it depends on how you can control the airflow
in your box. Sucking in wind from the front is good, but you need to get
rid of the wind. Same counts if you are pulling wind from the box: there
must be a place where sufficient wind gets in.
I would go with the first option, but it takes up more space off course...

--=20
Bruno Van de Casteele  brunovdc@xxxxxxx
N.P. Puam              [ ICQ#: CA957F ]
http://www.puam.be/

"Not until there is a language-game are there reasons."
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org