[CoMoDev] Re: bump: March meeting topic

  • From: David Beers <cervezas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sue Spielman <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:30:09 -0700

Wow, Sue, I think this sounds like a great presentation.  If you can make it to
the meeting please bring it along.  If you can't make it and people have
questions or comments this list is a good place for them. By the way, the new
meeting place is just off 470 only a few minutes from the mouth of Deer Creek
Canyon, so the drive from Conifer is easier than it was before. Nudge nudge :-)

I'm going to go ahead and put together a presentation on the topic of SyncML
for Tuesday.  As many of you know SyncML is an XML based markup language
designed to provide an industry-standard language for synchronizing data that
lives on disparate platforms or repositories.  It purports to be optimized for
wireless networks, and there must be something to that since today it is much
more than just a paper standard for synchronizing PIM and email over wireless.
Many new smart phones have SyncML clients built in and come with desktop
software so their calendar and contacts apps can sync with Outlook.  PalmSource
is making noises about abandoning their time-tested HotSync technology in favor
of a standards-based SyncML solution.  Microsoft has not shown any signs of
jumping on the SyncML bandwagon, nor do I expect them to since they have little
to gain from enabling Windows Mobile devices to sync with anything but Exchange
or MS SQL Server.  But that hasn't kept various third parties from moving in to
fill that gap.

This is not going to be some dry presentation of a protocol.  I'll hit the high
points, put SyncML in a context, then demo an open source implementation of a
SyncML server and client at the meeting and discuss my experiences with it.
It's called Sync4J:  www.sync4j.org

The question we're trying to get at here is: what's the best way to sync data
on sometimes-connected devices when you need a solution that will work on
multiple device platforms instead of just one?  I don't promise to give a
definitive answer to this, but SyncML seems like a good place to start.

I think our Atlanta correspondent Peter Wilson will have some things to say on
this subject, too, having offered us a WebX demo of Intellisync Mobile Suite,
but he seems to be out of pocket for now, so we'll probably catch him later.

Looking forward to seeing you all!
David

---
David Beers