[CoMoDev] Memo from the cool convergent device department

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 19:03:01 -0600

Hope you folks don't mind me sending out pointers to items like the following
every once in a while.

This is one of the most interesting "converged" devices I've seen in a while:
http://www.gotive.com/products/H41.htm

It does wireless data *and* voice (GSM/GPRS), it has a built-in GPS receiver,
it's ruggedized, and it has a BIG rotatable touchscreen that is designed for
finger rather than stylus operation.  For industrial applications you can also
get it configured with a barcode reader, RFID reader, Imager (?) and/or
fingerprint reader. And of course it can support WiFi and Bluetooth through a
CF card adapter.  It has a rather unusual form factor: too big to be
pocketable, but much more mobile than a laptop since it doesn't need a lap.
Think commercial applications, not consumer or boardroom stuff.

Be sure to scroll down and click on some of the thumbnail pictures. The docking
stations for desktop and car are particularly interesting. Some wonderful
industrial design here.

Sorry, it looks like it currently isn't sold in the US. I'm tempted to ask one
of the UK salespeople to give me a call just so I can find out the price and
whether they can ship and support them here in the colonies.

David