[colombiamigra] Fw: [nep-mig] 2015-04-19, 10 papers

  • From: "william mejia" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "wmejia8a@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Colombiamigra <colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 00:33:36 +0000 (UTC)

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Yuji Tamura <ernad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: nep-mig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2015 7:01 PM
Subject: [nep-mig] 2015-04-19, 10 papers

nep-mig 2015-04-19 papers#yiv2458206754 body {font-family:verdana, arial,
univers, helvetica,
sans-serif;border-style:solid;border-width:4px;border-color:#008241;padding:4px;margin:0px;height:100%;line-height:1.3;}#yiv2458206754
.yiv2458206754h2 {font-size:2em;}#yiv2458206754 .yiv2458206754riban
{font-size:1.25em;}#yiv2458206754 #yiv2458206754edition_column
{border-right:0px;border-color:#008241;border-top-style:solid;border-top-width:4px;border-right-style:solid;border-right-width:2px;}#yiv2458206754
.yiv2458206754advert
{color:#FFFFFF;padding-left:4px;padding-top:2px;padding-bottom:2px;padding-right:2px;margin-top:4px;background-color:#008241;font-size:1.125em;font-weight:500;}#yiv2458206754
.yiv2458206754advert a:link {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv2458206754
span.yiv2458206754paper_title {font-weight:600;}#yiv2458206754
.yiv2458206754advert a:visited {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv2458206754
#yiv2458206754riban_left_table {width:100%;}#yiv2458206754
#yiv2458206754riban_table {width:100%;}#yiv2458206754
#yiv2458206754issue_service_name_td {text-align:right;}#yiv2458206754
#yiv2458206754snake_table {width:100%;border-spacing:0px;}#yiv2458206754
#yiv2458206754repad_cell
{border-color:#008241;border-spacing:0px;border-left-style:solid;border-left-width:2px;border-bottom-style:solid;border-bottom-width:4px;}#yiv2458206754
var {font-family:monospace;font-style:oblique;}#yiv2458206754 #yiv2458206754
.yiv2458206754report_handle {display:inline-block;width:5em;}#yiv2458206754
#yiv2458206754 .yiv2458206754year_count
{display:inline-block;width:3em;}#yiv2458206754 .yiv2458206754listhead,
#yiv2458206754 .yiv2458206754headbarlist td
{font-size:1.25em;background-color:#008241;color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv2458206754
.yiv2458206754noborder {border-width:0pt;}#yiv2458206754 h2, #yiv2458206754 h3,
#yiv2458206754 h4 {color:#008241;}#yiv2458206754 h4 em
{color:#000000;font-variant:normal;}#yiv2458206754 a:link
{color:#008241;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv2458206754 a:visited
{color:#004010;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv2458206754 a:active
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv2458206754 a:hover
{color:#0000ff;}#yiv2458206754 a.yiv2458206754external:link
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv2458206754
a.yiv2458206754external :visited
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv2458206754
a.yiv2458206754external :active
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv2458206754
a.yiv2458206754external :hover {color:#000000;}#yiv2458206754 hr
{color:#008241;background-color:#008241;height:4px;}#yiv2458206754
table.yiv2458206754headbar
{width:100%;background-color:#008241;color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv2458206754
table.yiv2458206754headbar a {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv2458206754
td.yiv2458206754issue_paper_row_name
{width:7em;vertical-align:top;}#yiv2458206754 #yiv2458206754issue_papers_table
{margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;}#yiv2458206754
table.yiv2458206754headbarlist a {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv2458206754
#yiv2458206754validator {display:none;}#yiv2458206754 #yiv2458206754
.yiv2458206754prompt {background-color:#dddddd;}#yiv2458206754
.yiv2458206754footer
{font-size:.83em;border-top-style:solid;padding-top:4px;border-top-width:4px;border-top-color:#008241;}@media
{#yiv2458206754 table.yiv2458206754headbar
{color:black;background-color:white;}#yiv2458206754 a
{text-decoration:none;color:black;}#yiv2458206754 body
{border:0pt;}#yiv2458206754 img, #yiv2458206754 .yiv2458206754noprint
{display:none;}#yiv2458206754 .yiv2458206754silentlink
{display:none;}#yiv2458206754 p, #yiv2458206754 td, #yiv2458206754 th,
#yiv2458206754 li, #yiv2458206754 div {font-size:10pt;}}

| nep-mig | New Economics Papers |

| on Economics of Human Migration |

| Issue of 2015‒04‒19
ten papers chosen by
Yuji Tamura
La Trobe University
http://econpapers.repec.org/pta90
| |

- Unaccompanied Minors and Separated Refugee Children in Sweden: An Outlook
on Demography, Education and EmploymentCelikaksoy, Aycan; Wadensjö, Eskil
- Migration Externalities in Chinese CitiesPierre-Philippe Combes; Sylvie
Démurger; Shi Li
- Analyzing Indian Diaspora: Pyramid Impact on Reforms & Migration
PatternSapovadia, Vrajlal
- Moving People with Ideas - Innovation, Inter-regional Mobility and Firm
HeterogeneityRiccardo Crescenzi; Luisa Gagliardi
- The Geography of Development: Evaluating Migration Restrictions and
Coastal FloodingKlaus Desmet; Dávid Krisztián Nagy; Esteban Rossi-Hansberg
- A generic approach to investment modelling in recursive dynamic CGE
modelsPiyasiri Wickramasekara
- Should I Stay, Should I Go Back or Should I Move Further? Contrasting
Answers under Diverse Migration RegimesMichael Landesmann; Sandra M. Leitner;
Isilda Mara
- Immigration as a Policy Tool for the Double Burden Problem of Prefunding
Pay-as-you-go Social Security SystemHisahiro Naito
- Immigration, Regional Conditions, and Crime: Evidence from an Allocation
Policy in GermanyPiopiunik, Marc; Ruhose, Jens
- How do female migration and gender discrimination in social institutions
mutually influence each other?Gaëlle Ferrant; Michele Tuccio

- Unaccompanied Minors and Separated Refugee Children in Sweden: An Outlook
on Demography, Education and Employment
| Date: | 2015-04 |
| By: | Celikaksoy, Aycan (SOFI, Stockholm University) ; Wadensjö,
Eskil (Stockholm University) |
| The number of unaccompanied minors has increased over the past ten
years in Sweden, the European country that receives the most children from this
group. Some of them emigrate after a period of time in Sweden, but the vast
majority stay. Most of the arriving children are teenage boys who have not yet
turned 18. However, the largest increase over the latest years is observed for
the younger age groups. Furthermore, gender composition is also age dependent,
where it is quite balanced for the younger age groups unlike the oldest age
group. In the years following their arrival, most of them are enrolled in
schools. When it comes to those aged 20 or over, the proportion undergoing
education is higher among women but a higher proportion of men are employed.
The group that neither works nor studies is much larger among women than among
men. |

- Migration Externalities in Chinese Cities
| Date: | 2015 |
| By: | Pierre-Philippe Combes (Aix-Marseille University
(Aix-Marseille School of Economics), CNRS & EHESS, 2, Rue de la Charité,13002
Marseille, France; Sciences Po, Department of Economics, 28, Rue des
Saints-Pères, 75007 Paris, France. Also affiliated to the CEPR.) ; Sylvie
Démurger (Université de Lyon, Lyon, F-69007, France ; CNRS, GATE Lyon St
Etienne,F-69130 Ecully, France) ; Shi Li (School of Business, Beijing Normal
University, China; IZA, Bonn, Germany) |
| We analyse the impact of internal migration in China on natives’ labour
market outcomes. We find evidence of a large positive correlation of the city
share of migrants with natives’ wages. Using different sets of control
variables and instruments suggests that the effect is causal. The large total
migrant impact (+10% when one moves from the first to the third quartile of the
migrant variable distribution) arises from gains due to complementarity with
natives in the production function (+6.4%), and from gains due to agglomeration
economies (+3.3%). Finally, we find some evidence of a stronger effect for
skilled natives than for unskilled, as expected from theory. Overall, our
findings support large nominal wage gains that can be expected from further
migration and urbanisation in China. |

- Analyzing Indian Diaspora: Pyramid Impact on Reforms & Migration Pattern
| Date: | 2015-04-03 |
| By: | Sapovadia, Vrajlal |
| This paper attempts to work on transnational migration of Indians after
1800 AD and limits it on two aspects; i. those who were born in India after
independence (August 1947) and are living outside India permanently ii. Those
who or their parents were born in United India in or after 19th century and are
permanently living outside India. The paper aims to analyze the pattern of
migration of Indians over time and its impact on India. Beside we discuss
economic, social and political impact and how it influenced reform in
education, societal & political, we argue that the flow have distinct character
in each wave based on the destination, factor behind migration, skill set of
migrant. |

- Moving People with Ideas - Innovation, Inter-regional Mobility and Firm
Heterogeneity
| Date: | 2015-04 |
| By: | Riccardo Crescenzi ; Luisa Gagliardi |
| This paper looks at the link between inter-regional mobility,
innovation and firms' behavioural heterogeneity in their reliance on localised
external sources of knowledge. By linking patent data (capturing inventors'
inter-regional mobility) with firm-level data (providing information on firms'
innovation inputs and behaviour) a robust identification strategy makes it
possible to shed new light on the geographical mobility-innovation nexus. The
analysis of English firms suggests that firm-level heterogeneity - largely
overlooked in previous studies - is the key to explain the innovation impact of
inter-regional mobility over and above learning-by-hiring mechanisms. A causal
link between inflows of new inventors into the local labour market and
innovation emerges only for firms that make the use of external knowledge
sources an integral part of their innovation strategies. |

- The Geography of Development: Evaluating Migration Restrictions and
Coastal Flooding
| Date: | 2015-04 |
| By: | Klaus Desmet ; Dávid Krisztián Nagy ; Esteban Rossi-Hansberg |
| We study the relationship between geography and growth. To do so, we
first develop a dynamic spatial growth theory with realistic geography. We
characterize the model and its balanced growth path and propose a methodology
to analyze equilibria with different levels of migration frictions. We bring
the model to the data for the whole world economy at a 1°×1° geographic
resolution. We then use the model to quantify the gains from relaxing migration
restrictions as well as to describe the evolution of the distribution of
economic activity in the different migration scenarios. Our results indicate
that fully liberalizing migration would increase welfare more than three-fold
and would significantly affect the evolution of particular regions in the
world. We then use the model to study the effect of a spatial shock. We focus
on the example of a rise in the sea level and find that coastal flooding can
have an important impact on welfare by changing the geographic-dynamic path of
the world economy. |
| JEL: | E2 F11 F18 F22 F43 O1 O4 R23 |

- A generic approach to investment modelling in recursive dynamic CGE models

| Date: | 2015 |
| By: | Piyasiri Wickramasekara |
| There has been increased emphasis on the linkages between international
migration and development at international, regional and national levels in the
past two decades. This recognition of migration as a developmental tool has
generated calls for mainstreaming migration in development with some origin
countries making specific attempts at incorporating migration concerns into
their development agendas. Yet this approach is being promoted in a context
where there is still inadequate understanding of the precise linkages between
migration and development. The paper reviews the situation in South Asia with
respect to mainstreaming arguments. It first reviews the analytical issues
involved in mainstreaming including definitions and mechanisms proposed. Next
the main linkages identified between migration and development – remittances,
return migration and diasporas – are discussed in relation to country
experiences in South Asia. Some contradictions in the mainstreaming discourse
are highlighted followed by some conclusions and policy implications. |

- Should I Stay, Should I Go Back or Should I Move Further? Contrasting
Answers under Diverse Migration Regimes
| Date: | 2015-01 |
| By: | Michael Landesmann (The Vienna Institute for International
Economic Studies, wiiw) ; Sandra M. Leitner (The Vienna Institute for
International Economic Studies, wiiw) ; Isilda Mara (The Vienna Institute for
International Economic Studies, wiiw) |
| Abstract EU integration, the process of EU enlargement and further visa
liberalisation have encouraged increased population movements across Europe,
some of which have taken new forms compared to previous migration waves. In
particular, some destination countries have experienced high levels of
temporary migration from poorer parts of Europe. Using a new set of survey
data, we seek to obtain a deeper understanding of the factors affecting
migration decisions by comparing migrants from three different sending
countries in three destination countries under different migration regimes
Poles in the UK, Romanians in Italy and Serbs in Austria. The surveys were
conducted in 2011 and 2012 and cover migrants who migrated between 2004 and
2012, which for Polish migrants in the UK corresponds to a phase with free
mobility and full access to the labour market; for Romanian migrants in Italy
it coincides first with visa liberalisation and then with full access to the
labour market starting with Romania’s EU accession in 2007; lastly, for Serbian
migrants in Austria this includes a visa liberalisation regime from 2010
onwards. The surveys undertaken in the different (host) countries were using an
almost identical methodology, thereby allowing for a direct comparison of the
factors underlying the decision to migrate. Thus, migration preferences with
regard to permanent, return and out-migration under different migration
regimes, restrictive versus free mobility, could be analysed. At individual
country level results show the weaker preference for permanent migration
amongst the highest skilled which points to a lower attachment to a particular
destination country. Furthermore, a change in the migration regime towards
freer mobility contributes to the intensification of temporary and outward
mobility among the highly skilled. |

- Immigration as a Policy Tool for the Double Burden Problem of Prefunding
Pay-as-you-go Social Security System
| Date: | 2015-04 |
| By: | Hisahiro Naito |
| The eect of accepting more immigrants on welfare in the presence of a
pay-asyou-go social security system is analyzed theoretically and
quantitatively in this study. First, it is shown that if intergenerational
government transfers initially exist from the young to the old, the government
can lead an economy to the (modied) golden rule level within a nite time in a
Pareto-improving way by increasing the percentage of immigrants to natives
(PITN). Second, by using the computational overlapping generation model, I
calculate both the welfare gain of increasing the PITN from 15.5 percent to
25.5 percent in 80 years and the years needed to reach the (modied) golden rule
level in a Pareto-improving way in a model economy. The simulation results show
that the present discounted value of the Pareto-improving welfare gain of
increasing the PITN is 23 percent of initial GDP. It takes 112 years for the
model economy to reach the golden rule level in a Pareto-improving way. |

- Immigration, Regional Conditions, and Crime: Evidence from an Allocation
Policy in Germany
| Date: | 2015-03-24 |
| By: | Piopiunik, Marc ; Ruhose, Jens |
| After the collapse of the Soviet Union, more than 3 million people with
German ancestors immigrated to Germany under a special law granting immediate
citizenship. Exploiting the exogenous allocation of ethnic German immigrants by
German authorities across regions upon arrival, we find that immigration
significantly increases crime. The crime impact of immigration depends strongly
on local labor market conditions, with strong impacts in regions with high
unemployment. Similarly, we find substantially stronger effects in regions with
high preexisting crime levels or large shares of foreigners. |

- How do female migration and gender discrimination in social institutions
mutually influence each other?
| Date: | 2015-04-08 |
| By: | Gaëlle Ferrant ; Michele Tuccio |
| Using the Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) from the OECD
Development Centre, this paper provides evidence of the two-way relationship
between gender inequality in social institutions and South-South migration.
Discriminatory social institutions in both origin and destination countries are
one additional determinant of female migration. Gender inequality appears to be
both a pull and a push factor for migrant women. On one hand, higher gender
discrimination at home reduces female emigration, since women’s restricted
opportunities and low decision-power limit their possibility to move abroad. On
the other hand, lower discrimination in the destination country attracts female
immigration. However, they have no significant impact on male migration,
suggesting that male and female incentives to migrate differ.<BR>Cet article
étudie l’influence réciproque entre discriminations de genre au sein des
institutions sociales et migration. D’un côté, le niveau de discrimination de
genre dans les institutions sociales du pays d’origine et du pays d’accueil
influence significativement la migration des femmes dans les pays du Sud. Ainsi
les discriminations auxquelles les femmes font faces dans les lois formelles et
informelles, les normes sociales et pratiques coutumières dans leurs pays
d’origine constituent un déterminant supplémentaire à la migration : lorsque
les discriminations dans les pays d’origine sont trop fortes, elles entravent
les opportunités de migration des femmes et réduisent ainsi les flux
migratoires Sud-Sud. En outre, le niveau de discrimination dans les
institutions sociales des pays d’origine semblent aussi jouer un rôle
important, les femmes étant attirés par des pays ayant des niveaux de
discrimination plus faibles que dans leurs pays d’origine. Ce type d’inégalité
n’a pas d'impact significatif sur les hommes, suggérant que les facteurs de
migration diffèrent entre les hommes et les femmes. |

This nep-mig issue comes without any express or implied warranty. You may
contact the editor by reply to this mail. General information on the NEP
project can be found at http://nep.repec.org. For comments please write to the
director of NEP, Marco Novarese at < director @ nep point repec point org >.