[colombiamigra] Fw: [nep-mig] 2013-02-08, 5 papers

  • From: william mejia <wmejia8a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 18:31:06 -0800 (PST)

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Yuji Tamura <ernad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: nep-mig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:16 PM
Subject: [nep-mig] 2013-02-08, 5 papers

Final
NEP: New Economics Papers
Economics of Human Migration
Edited by: Yuji Tamura
 Australian National University
Issue date: 2013-02-08
Papers: 5
Note: Access to full contents may be restricted.
NEP is sponsored by the School of Economics and Finance of Victoria University
of Wellington.
To subscribe/unsubscribe follow this link
http://lists.repec.org/mailman/options/nep-mig
In this issue we have:
        1. The Value of Climate Amenities: Evidence from US Migration Decisions
Paramita Sinha; Maureen L. Cropper
        2. Temporary Migration : A Review of the literature
Cora Leonie Mezger Kveder
        3. The Role of Expectations: An Application to Internal Migration
Robert Baumann; Justin Svec; Francis Sanzari
        4. Intertemporal remittance behaviour by immigrants in Germany
Giulia Bettin; Riccardo Lucchetti
        5. Is Smoking Behavior Culturally Determined?: Evidence from British
Immigrants
Rebekka Christopoulou; Dean R. Lillard
Contents.
        1. The Value of Climate Amenities: Evidence from US Migration Decisions
Date: 2013-02
By: Paramita Sinha
Maureen L. Cropper
We value climate amenities by estimating a discrete location choice model for
households that changed metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) between 1995 and
2000. The utility of each MSA depends on location-specific amenities, earnings
opportunities, housing costs, and the cost of moving to the MSA from the
household’s 1995 location. We use the estimated trade-off between wages and
climate amenities to value changes in mean winter and summer temperatures. At
median temperatures for 1970 to 2000, a 1°F increase in winter temperature is
worth less than a 1° decrease in summer temperature; however, the reverse is
true at winter temperatures below 25°F. These results imply an average welfare
loss of 2.7 percent of household income in 2020 to 2050 under the B1
(climate-friendly) scenario from the special report on emissions scenarios
(Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 2000), although some cities in the
Northeast and Midwest benefit. Under the A2
 (more extreme) scenario, households in 25 of 26 cities suffer an average
welfare loss equal to 5 percent of income.
JEL: Q5
        2. Temporary Migration : A Review of the literature
Date: 2013
By: Cora Leonie Mezger Kveder (Ined)
Over the last decade, a growing body of theoretical and empirical research has
attempted to uncover the mechanisms behind return migration, as well as
theconsequences for the migrant and her immediate personal network (household,
community), the destination and the origin countries. This article providesa
review of the return migration literature, focusing primarily on the microlevel
perspective of migrants and their households. A typology of temporarymigration
is presented and return migration is placed among other types of non-permanent
migratory moves. Dierent approaches have been proposed bythe literature with
regard to the identication and measurement of returnees. Finally, the
theoretical literature and a selection of empirical ndings on determinants,
timing, selectivity as well as consequences of return migration aresummarized
and discussed.
        3. The Role of Expectations: An Application to Internal Migration
Date: 2012-12
By: Robert Baumann (Department of Economics, College of the Holy Cross)
Justin Svec (Department of Economics, College of the Holy Cross)
Francis Sanzari
This paper examines the impact of unemployment on migration. In a theoretical
model, we show that unemployment, per se, does not affect migration. Rather,
migration only occurs when unemployment shocks force residents to update their
expectations of the area's unemployment rate. Once these expectations change,
migration reallocates labor to bring the economy back to equilibrium. To test
this theory, we devise an empirical strategy using state level data in the U.S.
from 2000 to 2010, we find strong empirical evidence that unemployment shocks
outside of expectations have a far greater impact on migration than
unemployment shocks that are within expectations.
Date: 2012-10
By: Giulia Bettin (Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI), Germany)
Riccardo Lucchetti (Universit… Politecnica delle Marche, Department of
Economics)
In this paper, we use data from the German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP) in the
1997-2009 period for a large sample of migrants from 84 countries in order to
develop an empirical model for the propensity by migrants to remit. Our model
takes into full account the intertemporal aspects of the problem, which has
been ignored by a large part of the applied literature, despite its theoretical
and empirical importance. We find that most results already established in the
empirical literature are confirmed; however, the intertemporal nature of the
remittance behaviour emerges very clearly, giving rise to individual patterns
which are difficult to synthesize by a simple description. Building on our
framework, we find also support for theoretical models which predict different
remittance time paths between return and permanent migrants.
Date: 2013
By: Rebekka Christopoulou
Dean R. Lillard
We exploit migration patterns from the UK to Australia, South Africa, and the
US to investigate whether a person's decision to smoke is determined by
culture. For each country, we use retrospective data to describe individual
smoking trajectories over the life-course. For the UK, we use these
trajectories to measure culture by cohort and cohort-age, and more accurately
relative to the extant literature. Our proxy predicts smoking participation of
second-generation British immigrants but not that of non-British immigrants and
natives. Researchers can apply our strategy to estimate culture effects on
other outcomes when retrospective or longitudinal data are available.
JEL: Z10

This nep–mig issue is ©2013 by Yuji Tamura. It is provided as is without any
express or implied warranty. It may be freely redistributed in whole or in part
for any purpose. If distributed in part, it must include this copyright notice.
It may not be sold, or placed in something else for sale.
General information on the NEP project can be found at http://nep.repec.org/.
For comments please write to the director of NEP, Marco Novarese at < director
@ nep point repec point org >.