[colombiamigra] Fw: [NIEM] 'Defensive architecture' against homeless in London, UK

  • From: "william mejia" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "wmejia8a@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Colombiamigra <colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 15:44:36 +0000 (UTC)

No sólo en Londres...

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "'niem.migr' NIEM.migr@xxxxxxxxx [niem_rj]" <niem_rj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: niem_rj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2015 5:51 AM
Subject: [NIEM] 'Defensive architecture' against homeless in London, UK

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/defensive-architecture-keeps-poverty-undeen-and-makes-us-more-hostile

Anti-homeless spikes: ‘Sleeping rough opened my eyes to the city’s barbed
cruelty’
The spikes installed outside Selfridges in Manchester are the latest front in
the spread of ‘defensive architecture’. Is such open hostility towards the
destitute making all our lives uglier? Metal studs outside private flats on
Southwark Bridge Road, London. Photograph: Guy Corbishley/Demotix/Corbis Alex
AndreouWednesday 18 February 2015 18.30 GMT Last modified on Thursday 19
February 2015 00.05 GMT
-
More than 100 homeless people are “living” in the terminals of Heathrow airport
this winter, according to official figures – a new and shameful record. Crisis
and the Joseph Rowntree Foundation have warned that homelessness in London is
rising significantly faster than the nationwide average, and faster than
official estimates. And yet, we don’t see as many people sleeping rough as in
previous economic downturns. Have our cities become better at hiding poverty,
or have we become more adept at not seeing it?Last year, there was great public
outcry against the use of “anti-homeless” spikes outside a London residential
complex, not far from where I live. Social media was set momentarily ablaze
with indignation, a petition was signed, a sleep-in protest undertaken, Boris
Johnson was incensed and within a few days they were removed. This week,
however, it emerged that Selfridges had installed metal spikes outside one of
its Manchester stores – apparently to “reduce litter and smoking … following
customer complaints”. The phenomenon of “defensive” or “disciplinary”
architecture, as it is known, remains pervasive.From ubiquitous protrusions on
window ledges to bus-shelter seats that pivot forward, from water sprinklers
and loud muzak to hard tubular rests, from metal park benches with solid
dividers to forests of pointed cement bollards under bridges, urban spaces are
aggressively rejecting soft, human bodies.We see these measures all the time
within our urban environments, whether in London or Tokyo, but we fail to
process their true intent. I hardly noticed them before I became homeless in
2009. An economic crisis, a death in the family, a sudden breakup and an even
more sudden breakdown were all it took to go from a six-figure income to
sleeping rough in the space of a year. It was only then that I started scanning
my surroundings with the distinct purpose of finding shelter and the city’s
barbed cruelty became clear.I learned to love London Underground’s Circle line
back then. To others it was just the rather inefficient yellow line on the tube
network. To me – and many homeless people – it was a safe, dry, warm container,
continually travelling sometimes above the surface, sometimes below, like a
giant needle stitching London’s centre into place. Nobody harassed you or moved
you on. You were allowed to take your poverty on tour. But engineering work put
a stop to that.Next was a bench in a smallish park just off Pentonville Road.
An old, wooden bench, made concave and smooth by thousands of buttocks,
underneath a sycamore with foliage so thick that only the most persistent rain
could penetrate it. Sheltered and warm, perched as it was against a wall behind
which a generator of some sort radiated heat, this was prime property. Then,
one morning, it was gone. In its place stood a convex metal perch, with three
solid armrests. I felt such loss that day. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Hostile
architecture on the former Coutts Bank, Fleet Stree, London. Photograph: Linda
Nylind for the Guardian “When you’re designed against, you know it,” says Ocean
Howell, who teaches architectural history at the University of Oregon, speaking
about anti-skateboarding designs. “Other people might not see it, but you will.
The message is clear: you are not a member of the public, at least not of the
public that is welcome here.” The same is true of all defensive architecture.
The psychological effect is devastating.There is a wider problem, too. These
measures do not and cannot distinguish the “vagrant” posterior from others
considered more deserving. When we make it impossible for the dispossessed to
rest their weary bodies at a bus shelter, we also make it impossible for the
elderly, for the infirm, for the pregnant woman who has had a dizzy spell. By
making the city less accepting of the human frame, we make it less welcoming to
all humans. By making our environment more hostile, we become more hostile
within it.Defensive architecture is revealing on a number of levels, because it
is not the product of accident or thoughtlessness, but a thought process. It is
a sort of unkindness that is considered, designed, approved, funded and made
real with the explicit motive to exclude and harass. It reveals how corporate
hygiene has overridden human considerations, especially in retail districts. It
is a symptom of the clash of private and public, of necessity and
property.Pavement sprinklers have been installed by buildings as diverse as the
famous Strand book store in New York, a fashion chain in Hamburg and government
offices in Guangzhou. They spray the homeless intermittently, soaking them and
their possessions. The assertion is clear: the public thoroughfare in front of
a building, belongs to the building’s occupant, even when it is not being
used.Setha Low, a professor in environmental psychology, and urban geographer
Neil Smith, in their book The Politics of Public Space, describe the phenomenon
as a creeping encroachment that has “culminated in the multiple closures,
erasures, inundations and transfigurations of public space at the behest of
state and corporate strategies”. They contend that the very economic and
political revolutions that freed people from autocratic monarchies also
enshrined principles of private property at the expense of a long tradition of
common land.Sculptor Fabian Brunsing brought a satirical eye to the issue by
creating the “pay bench”, an art installation of a park bench that retracts its
metal spikes for a limited time when the prospective sitter feeds it a coin.
Chinese officials, completely missing the joke, thought that this was a great
idea and installed similar benches in Yantai Park of the Shangdong province.
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Concrete spikes under a road bridge in Guangzhou
city, Guangdong, China. Photograph: Imaginechina/REX The architecture of our
cities is a powerful guide to behaviour, both directly and in its symbolism.
One of the very first acts of the newly elected Syriza government in Greece was
to remove the metal barriers between the Hellenic parliament and Syntagma
Square. The effect on the centre of Athens of the removal of this barricade –
which represented the strife of the last few years – was almost magical, as if
an entire city breathed a sigh of relief. The symbolism of a government saying
that they were a part of the people, rather than apart from the people, was
understood by all.Artist Nils Norman has been documenting the phenomenon of
defensive architecture since the late 90s with thousands of photographs. This
“vernacular of terror”, as he calls it, has its roots in leftover space or “gap
sites”: plots that are too small to develop but large enough to encourage
loitering. He sees the loss of public space as directly related to a loss of
public life. “City space is quietly altered to maximimise its control and
circulation,” he says. “Benches become bum-free, which in turn become
‘perches’, which are in turn removed. As city spaces become cleaner and more
symbolically ‘safe’, defensive design becomes more abundant and
paranoid.”Recently, as I walked into my local bakery, a homeless man (whom I
had seen a few times before) asked whether I could get him something to eat.
When I asked Ruth – one of the young women who work behind the counter – to put
a couple of pasties in a separate bag and explained why, her censure was
severe: “He probably makes more money than you from begging, you know,” she
said, bluntly.He probably didn’t. Half his face was covered with sores. A
blackened, gangrenous-looking toe protruded from a hole in his ancient shoe.
His left hand looked mangled and was covered in dry blood from some recent
accident or fight. I pointed this out. Ruth was unmoved by my protestations. “I
don’t care,” she said. “They foul in the green opposite. They’re a menace.
Animals.”
Spikes keep the homeless away, pushing them further out of sight
Alex Andreou Alex Andreou: A new development in London has installed metal
spikes in an alcove – such 'defensive architecture' helps us to pretend real
poverty doesn't exist Read more It’s precisely this viewpoint that
defensive architecture upholds. That the destitute are a different species
altogether; inferior and responsible for their demise. Like pigeons to be
shooed away; urban foxes disturbing our slumber with their screams. “Shame on
you,” jumped in Libby, the older lady who works at the bakery. “That is
someone’s son you’re talking about.”We curse the destitute for urinating in
public spaces with no thought about how far the nearest free public toilet
might be. We blame them for their poor hygiene without questioning the lack of
public facilities for washing. It costs £5 to take a shower at King’s Cross
station. Wilful misconceptions about homelessness abound. For instance, that
shelters are plentiful and sleeping rough is a lifestyle choice. Free shelters,
unless one belongs to a particularly vulnerable group, are actually extremely
rare. Getting a bed often depends on a referral from a local agency, which, in
turn, depends on being able to prove a local connection. For the majority of
homeless people, who have usually graduated from a life as itinerant
sofa-surfers, it is impossible to prove.This tripartite pressure of an
increasingly hostile built environment, huge reduction in state budgets, and a
hardening attitude to poverty can be disastrous for people sleeping rough, both
physically and psychologically. Fundamental misunderstanding of destitution is
designed to exonerate the rest from responsibility and insulate them from
perceiving risk. All of us are encouraged to spend future earnings through
credit. For the spell to be effective, it is essential to be in a sort of
denial about the possibility that such future earnings could dry up. Most of us
are a couple of pay packets from being insolvent. We despise homeless people
for bringing us face to face with that fact.
Poverty exists as a parallel, but separate, reality. City planners work very
hard to keep it outside our field of vision. It is too miserable, too
dispiriting, too painful to look at someone defecating in a park or sleeping in
a doorway and think of him as “someone’s son”. It is easier to see him and ask
only the unfathomably self-centred question: “How does his homelessness affect
me?” So we cooperate with urban design and work very hard at not seeing,
because we do not want to see. We tacitly agree to this apartheid. Facebook
Twitter Pinterest Spikes installed outside Selfridges in Manchester.
Photograph: Christopher Thomond for the Guardian. A homeless man, Pawel Koseda,
was found dead last year; bled out, impaled on the six-inch spikes of the metal
fence that surrounds St Mary Abbots in Kensington, the Camerons’ chosen place
of worship. He had high levels of alcohol in his blood and was wearing hospital
pyjamas under his clothes. Koseda used to be a university lecturer in Poland.
Ed Boord, who found the body, said that several people walked by and didn’t
even notice. “It upset me that someone like that spends their life not being
noticed,” he said, “and even in their last moments people still walk
past.”Crisis and the Joseph Rowntree Foundation’s research says that UK
homeless numbers have increased by a third in the last five years. Benefit
sanctions are cited as the main reason. In this context of depressed wages and
soaring living costs, reduced services and lack of housing, we are facing a
humanitarian disaster. The Red Cross is involved in food aid in the UK for the
first time since the second world war. Can our response as a civilised society
really be limited to moving people on from our doorsteps?This, more than
anything else, will determine our future as a species. Our ability to share
will be key to our survival. The rough sleeper’s bad fortune is intricately
connected to someone else’s good fortune. The person sleeping outside the
expensive Bond Street boutique is part of the same nexus as the person inside
spending £500 on a pair of socks.Resources are scarce. Infinite wealth creation
is a fairytale. Real wealth – land, food, water, fuel – has physical
limitations. If some take more than they need, others go without. We
obsessively focus on the external: carbon emissions, recycling, charity work,
social security, saving the snow leopard – all of them excellent goals – while
doggedly refusing to look inwards and make the adjustments that might allow us
to coexist more equitably.A ray of hope from Vancouver – benches that unfold
into shelters and read “This is a bench” during the day, but light up to reveal
“This is a bedroom” at night. Perhaps a small step on what David Harvey, author
of Social Justice and the City, calls the “path from an urbanism based on
exploitation to an urbanism appropriate for the human species”.Defensive
architecture acts as the airplane curtain that separates economy from business
and business from first class, protecting those further forward from the
envious eyes of those behind. It keeps poverty unseen and sanitises our
shopping centres, concealing any guilt for over-consuming. It speaks volumes
about our collective attitude to poverty in general and homelessness in
particular. It is the aggregated, concrete, spiked expression of a lack of
generosity of spirit.Ironically, it doesn’t even achieve its basic goal of
making us feel safer. There is no way of locking others out that doesn’t also
lock us in. The narrower the arrow-slit, the larger outside dangers appear.
Making our urban environment hostile breeds hardness and isolation. It makes
life a little uglier for all of us.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/selfridges-installs-inhumane-antihomeless-spikes-outside-manchester-store-10049442.html
Selfridges installs 'inhumane' anti-homeless spikes outside Manchester store
Department store has defended its choice, claiming that the spikes discourage
'litter' and 'smokers' after customers complained Rose Troup Buchanan
Monday 16 February 2015 Selfridges has been condemned by campaigners for
installing “inhumane” ‘anti-homeless spikes’ outside their flagship Manchester
store. The Manchester department store, which stocks luxury fashion items, and
is one of two outlets of the famous London store in the city, has defended its
decision to install the spikes.A spokesperson for the company told The
Independent they were put in on 1 December last year "as part of a number of
measures to reduce litter and smoking outside the store's team entrance,
following customer complaints".The chief executive of national homeless charity
Crisis Jon Sparkes said the homeless "deserve better"."It is a scandal that
anyone should sleep on the streets in 21st century Britain. Yet in recent years
rough sleeping has risen sharply across the country. Behind these numbers are
real people struggling with a lack of housing, cuts to benefits and cuts to
homelessness services to help them rebuild their lives."He told The
Independent: "We will never tackle rough sleeping with aggressive measures like
studs in the pavement. Instead we need politicians to review the help that
single homeless people get under the law, and we urge the public to sign our No
One Turned Away petition calling for a change so that no-one is forced to sleep
rough.”The metal spikes, which make it difficult – if not impossible – for
homeless to sleep outside buildings caused a huge online backlash last year
after a London branch of Tesco and a block of luxury flats in the capital had
them installed.
A petition gathered over 13,000 signatures eventually saw both pairs removed.
The Manchester spikes were noticed by Cathy Urquhart, from Yorkshire, who has
started a similar petition, which has just over 3,000 signatures so far.
On the Change.org petition, which calls on the store to remove the metal
stumps, 53-year-old Ms Urquhart writes: “These spikes are an affront to
humanity. They tell the homeless that they are not welcome, that they are a
problem to be moved on.“We should be looking after the homeless, not demonising
and scapegoating them. Manchester is better than this!”A recent report
published by national homeless charity Crisis claimed that the number of
homeless rose by nine per cent last year to 280,000 cases.You can sign the
petition here

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cardiff-university-installs-antihomeless-cages-by-warm-air-vents-on-campus-9782551.html
Cardiff University installs 'anti-homeless cages' next to warm air vents on
campus

The university said it was a health and safety measure. Picture: Lewis Hopkins
Lizzie Dearden Wednesday 08 October 2014
[vídeo] Cardiff University has installed metal cages by warm air vents on
campus to stop homeless people sleeping by them. Students say they are
“disgusted” by the move but the university claims the grilles, outside a
chemistry building, are necessary for health and safety.Student Lewis Hopkins,
who blogged about the cages after spotting them on his daily walk to
university, said he was “sickened”.“The homeless people are never there in the
day, it’s only overnight,” he told The Independent.“They never caused any
trouble, never littered nor gathered in groups,” he added.“They were just
content with finding a warm place to sleep at night.”A Cardiff University
spokesperson stressed that the grilles were installed outside the Sir Martin
Evans building “in the interests of health and safety”, not to deter homeless
people. Anti-homeless studs outside a London flat “The area covered by the
safety grilles are not hot air vents but boiler flue vents that can potentially
produce products of combustion - diluted amounts of carbon monoxide being one
of these - as part of the diluted boiler flue gases,” he added.“These vents are
considered safe in normal use due to the type of flue dilution system being
used but there could potentially be an increased risk if people are sleeping
right next to the grilles for very long periods.”He said the university had
been working with security staff on the issue and said the cages would reduce
risks to anyone sleeping nearby.The controversy comes after a Tesco in London
provoked outrage with “anti-homeless spikes” outside a shop, following a
similar move outside a flat development.The supermarket denied the one-inch
metal studs were to stop rough sleepers, saying they were aimed to stop groups
drinking outside and intimidating customers Tesco removed the studs following
protests and said it would find “a different solution”.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/jun/13/anti-homeless-spikes-hostile-architecture
Anti-homeless spikes are part of a wider phenomenon of 'hostile architecture'
New urban design aims to influence behaviour and has been criticised as an
attempt to exclude poor people
Ben QuinnFriday 13 June 2014 17.43

It is called the Camden bench, after the local authority that originally
commissioned the sculpted grey concrete seats found on London streets. The
bench's graffiti-resistant sloping surface is designed to deter both sleeping
and skateboarding.While not as obvious as the stainless steel "anti-homeless"
spikes that appeared outside a London apartment block recently, the benches are
part of a recent generation of urban architecture designed to influence public
behaviour, known as "hostile architecture".Skateboarders are now attempting to
subvert the benches in the way they know best. "We're demonstrating today that
you can still skateboard on it," said Dylan Leadley-Watkins, as he careered to
a halt after hurling himself and his board along one of the benches in Covent
Garden."Whatever the authorities want to do to try to destroy public space,
they can't get rid of everyday people who can come through an area without
having to spend money and do something that they enjoy."The actions of
skateboarders and those angered at the spikes – since removed after an online
petition surpassed 100,000 signatures and the London mayor, Boris Johnson,
joined in the criticism – come at a time when many argue that cities are
growing ever colder towards certain groups.In addition to anti-skateboard
devices, with names such as "pig's ears" and "skate stoppers", ground-level
window ledges are increasingly studded to prevent sitting, slanting seats at
bus stops deter loitering and public benches are divided up with armrests to
prevent lying down.To that list, add jagged, uncomfortable paving areas, CCTV
cameras with speakers and "anti-teenager" sound deterrents, such as the playing
of classical music at stations and so-called Mosquito devices, which emit
irritatingly high-pitched sounds that only teenagers can hear. New benches
outside the Royal Courts of Justice in central London. Photograph: Linda Nylind
for the Guardian "A lot of defensible architecture is added on to the street
environment at a later stage, but equally with a lot of new developments it's
apparent that questions of 'who do we want in this space, who do we not want'
are being considered very early in the design stage," says the photographer
Marc Vallée, who has documented anti-skateboarding architecture.Others
emphasise the value of environmental design in deterring criminal behaviour,
and insist that thinking has long moved on from such crude solutions as
stainless steel spikes."Spikes are part of an outdated fortress aesthetic not
welcome in communities, where there is recognition that urban design needs to
be inclusive," says Lorraine Gamman, professor of design at Central St Martins
and the director of the institution's Design Against Crime (DAC) research
centre."If we wish to use design to reduce antisocial behaviour, then democracy
needs to be visible in the crime-prevention design we put on our streets," she
says. "I don't have a problem with the Camden bench – whose aesthetics others
have criticised – but I do have a problem that in many locations benches,
toilets and dustbins appear to have been removed to reduce anticipated crime,
at the expense of the law-abiding majority."Innovations currently being
developed by Central St Martins include "ATM art" – ground markings aimed at
increasing the privacy and security of cash machine users. Spikes to prevent
sitting in Euston, central London. Photograph: Linda Nylind for the Guardian
Others have included projects related to graffiti ("Graffiti Dialogues"),
anti-theft "Grippa Clips" for use in bars and cafes and the "Camden bike stand"
, which make it easier for cyclists to keep their bicycles upright and lock
both wheels and the frame to the stand.Anger towards some of the blunter types
of "defensible architecture" is growing. On Wednesday, activists poured
concrete on top of spikes outside a central London branch of Tesco. The company
said they were to prevent antisocial behaviour rather than to deter homeless
people but agreed on Thursday to remove them.The architectural historian Iain
Borden says the emergence of hostile architecture has its roots in 1990s urban
design and public-space management. The emergence, he said, "suggested we are
only republic citizens to the degree that we are either working or consuming
goods directly. Seating on Euston Road, central London. Photograph: Linda
Nylind for the Guardian "So it's OK, for example, to sit around as long as you
are in a cafe or in a designated place where certain restful activities such as
drinking a frappucino should take place but not activities like busking,
protesting or skateboarding. It's what some call the 'mallification' of public
space, where everything becomes like a shopping mall."Rowland Atkinson,
co-director of the Centre for Urban Research at the University of York,
suggests the spikes and related architecture are part of a broader pattern of
hostility and indifference towards social difference and poverty produced
within cities."If you were being a bit cynical but also realistic, it is a kind
of assault on the poor, a way of trying to displace their distress," he says.
"You have various processes coming together, including economic processes that
are making people vulnerable in the first place, like the bedroom tax and
thresholds on welfare, but the next step seems to be to say: 'We are not even
going to allow you to accommodate yourself in the most desperate way possible.'
"

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/09/spikes-homeless-london-metal-alcove-defensive-architecture-povertySpikes
keep the homeless away, pushing them further out of sight Alex AndreouA new
development in London has installed metal spikes in an alcove – such 'defensive
architecture' helps us to pretend real poverty doesn't exist Defensive
architecture says to some: 'Not even this bit of earth. Not even for the
night.' Photograph: Jamie Lorriman Monday 9 June 2014 12.11 BST Last modified
on Tuesday 1 July 2014 16.21 For more than a decade "defensive architecture"
has increasingly been creeping into urban life. From narrow, slanted bus
shelter seats – not even suitable for sitting on, let alone sleeping on – to
park benches with peculiar armrests designed to make it impossible to recline;
from angular metal studs on central London ledges to surreal forests of pyramid
bollards under bridges and flyovers. Hard property jutting out against soft
homeless bodies, saying: how dare you be poor in plain sight?Artist Sarah Ross
attempted to highlight this trend, tongue-in-cheek, by creating "archisuits":
padded jumpsuits that allowed the wearer to wrap around this unforgiving
environment. Sculptor Fabian Bransing aimed to satirise this aspect of modern
urban life, creating the "pay bench" which retracts its metal spikes when the
prospective sitter feeds it a coin – but only for a limited time. Modern life
has a way of piling irony on top of sarcasm. The Chinese government saw the
project, thought it was a great idea and installed the benches in Yantai Park
of the Shangdong province.Step by selfish step we have arrived at the latest
item causing outrage: a bed of metal spikes inside an alcove of a fancy new
development on Southwark Bridge Road in London. "I think it's a good idea," one
resident said. Speaking of "beggars and homeless people sleeping there", she
added: "It completely affects the way the building seems, the appearance, and
it's just not very nice." An Englishman's home is his castle, and that castle
now includes a moat to keep the peasants out.These "anti-homeless" measures are
designed to move the destitute on to somewhere else. I lived on Southwark
Bridge Road before every patch of it was developed into posh apartments – a
small, one-bedroom flat will now set you back £500,000. The area's
rough-sleeping population was a direct result of another "crackdown on
homelessness" in nearby Waterloo.At the root of this cruelty, which treats the
dispossessed like a pigeon infestation – fed crumbs by the kindly misguided,
shooed away by the thoughtlessly indifferent and spiked by the inhumanly
practical – are wilful misconceptions about homelessness: that it is a
lifestyle choice, which oddly becomes more popular during periods of nationwide
economic ruin; that poverty is down to personal failure; that kindness
perpetuates it; and, more than any misconception, that good shelter is readily
available.Before I became homeless myself, nothing could have prepared me for
the shock of finding out that there are very few shelters which offer temporary
refuge for the night for free. In order to get it, I had to be referred by a
local agency. In order to be referred by a local agency I needed to demonstrate
to a council a "sufficient local connection". Proving a sufficient local
connection for the majority of homeless people, who commonly become itinerant
before they become dispossessed, is much harder than it sounds. Asking someone
sleeping rough to provide bills showing a local address is about as realistic
as asking them to provide proof that unicorns exist.I remember walking into the
nearby housing office when I knew I was going to become homeless in four days'
time. I was a single, physically healthy male with no dependants. "You're not
homeless yet," the office observed, "and you don't have any bills from this
address." I had been staying with a friend whose kindness had finally reached
an end; I had no bills in my name. I was advised to try the council where I had
last paid bills regularly. More than six months had passed. My "sufficient
local connection" had been severed. I was passed like a parcel from borough to
borough, none of them wanting to help me because by doing so I would have
become part of their statistics, affected their targets, and become their
responsibility.On one occasion I paid for shelter for the night. I didn't do it
lightly. It cost £14, a week's food budget. As I lay awake in a room with
another dozen desperate men, the smell of chlorine from my sheets barely
masking the smell of sweat and alcohol, the whirring of the fan above my cot
unable to compete with the coughing, wheezing and murmuring, it became clear
why many choose a doorway, as I did from then on.Still, none of this hardship
compared to the psychological damage which goes with such territory. I felt
increasingly invisible and inhuman, as if the real me was evaporating. There
were many moments when I was acutely aware that I was on a knife edge; that if
I lost even one more per cent of myself, I would never again be myself.And this
damaging dissociation of the destitute from the rest of the world, this
dehumanising effect, is precisely the aspect that such offensive "defensive
architecture" feeds. It makes the city hostile to those who exist in this
parallel reality. It breaks their psyche down further, making recovery less
likely. It consigns them further out of sight so that the rest may continue to
pretend that real poverty doesn't exist. It doesn't just deny someone who has
absolutely nothing, a place to rest; it is a sign which reads, "Not even this
bit of earth. Not even for the night."
[mensagem organizada por Helion Póvoa Neto]
__._,_.___ Enviado por: "niem.migr" <NIEM.migr@xxxxxxxxx>
| Responder através da web | • | | • | através de email | • |
Adicionar um novo tópico | • | Mensagens neste tópico (1) |

[As opiniões veiculadas não expressam (necessariamente) a opinião dos
organizadores da lista do NIEM]

Para cancelar sua assinatura desse grupo, favor enviar um e-mail para:

To cancel your subscription to this group, please send an e-mail to:

para enviar mensagens / to send messages: niem_rj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Visite
seu Grupo
- Novos usuários 6
• Privacidade • Sair do grupo • Termos de uso

.
__,_._,___#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592 -- #yiv8599827592ygrp-mkp {border:1px
solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px 0;padding:0 10px;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592ygrp-mkp hr {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592ygrp-mkp #yiv8599827592hd
{color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-mkp #yiv8599827592ads
{margin-bottom:10px;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-mkp .yiv8599827592ad
{padding:0 0;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-mkp .yiv8599827592ad p
{margin:0;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-mkp .yiv8599827592ad a
{color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-sponsor
#yiv8599827592ygrp-lc {font-family:Arial;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592ygrp-sponsor #yiv8599827592ygrp-lc #yiv8599827592hd {margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592ygrp-sponsor #yiv8599827592ygrp-lc .yiv8599827592ad
{margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592actions
{font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592activity
{background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592activity span {font-weight:700;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592activity span:first-child
{text-transform:uppercase;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592activity span a
{color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592activity span
span {color:#ff7900;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592activity span
.yiv8599827592underline {text-decoration:underline;}#yiv8599827592
.yiv8599827592attach
{clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}#yiv8599827592 .yiv8599827592attach div a
{text-decoration:none;}#yiv8599827592 .yiv8599827592attach img
{border:none;padding-right:5px;}#yiv8599827592 .yiv8599827592attach label
{display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}#yiv8599827592 .yiv8599827592attach label a
{text-decoration:none;}#yiv8599827592 blockquote {margin:0 0 0
4px;}#yiv8599827592 .yiv8599827592bold
{font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}#yiv8599827592
.yiv8599827592bold a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv8599827592 dd.yiv8599827592last
p a {font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv8599827592 dd.yiv8599827592last p
span {margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv8599827592
dd.yiv8599827592last p span.yiv8599827592yshortcuts
{margin-right:0;}#yiv8599827592 div.yiv8599827592attach-table div div a
{text-decoration:none;}#yiv8599827592 div.yiv8599827592attach-table
{width:400px;}#yiv8599827592 div.yiv8599827592file-title a, #yiv8599827592
div.yiv8599827592file-title a:active, #yiv8599827592
div.yiv8599827592file-title a:hover, #yiv8599827592 div.yiv8599827592file-title
a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv8599827592 div.yiv8599827592photo-title a,
#yiv8599827592 div.yiv8599827592photo-title a:active, #yiv8599827592
div.yiv8599827592photo-title a:hover, #yiv8599827592
div.yiv8599827592photo-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv8599827592
div#yiv8599827592ygrp-mlmsg #yiv8599827592ygrp-msg p a
span.yiv8599827592yshortcuts
{font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}#yiv8599827592
.yiv8599827592green {color:#628c2a;}#yiv8599827592 .yiv8599827592MsoNormal
{margin:0 0 0 0;}#yiv8599827592 o {font-size:0;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592photos div {float:left;width:72px;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592photos div div {border:1px solid
#666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592photos div label
{color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592reco-category {font-size:77%;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592reco-desc {font-size:77%;}#yiv8599827592 .yiv8599827592replbq
{margin:4px;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-actbar div a:first-child
{margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-mlmsg
{font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592ygrp-mlmsg select, #yiv8599827592 input, #yiv8599827592 textarea
{font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv8599827592 code {font:115%
monospace;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-mlmsg *
{line-height:1.22em;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-mlmsg #yiv8599827592logo
{padding-bottom:10px;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-msg p a
{font-family:Verdana;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-msg
p#yiv8599827592attach-count span {color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592ygrp-reco #yiv8599827592reco-head
{color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-reco
{margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-sponsor
#yiv8599827592ov li a {font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592ygrp-sponsor #yiv8599827592ov li
{font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592ygrp-sponsor #yiv8599827592ov ul {margin:0;padding:0 0 0
8px;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-text
{font-family:Georgia;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-text p {margin:0 0 1em
0;}#yiv8599827592 #yiv8599827592ygrp-text tt {font-size:120%;}#yiv8599827592
#yiv8599827592ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {border-right:none
!important;}#yiv8599827592