[colombiamigra] Fw: [NIEM] CFP: Mobility within and to the Global South (July 19 & 20, 2013, University of Cologne, Germany)

  • From: william mejia <wmejia8a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 05:19:37 -0800 (PST)

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Camila Pierobon <camila_pierobon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: NIEM - GRUPO <niem_rj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:43 PM
Subject: [NIEM]  CFP: Mobility within and to the Global South (July 19 & 20,
2013, University of Cologne, Germany)

Dear colleagues, dear list-members,

> We would like to bring to your attention our call for papers for a
workshop on 'Mobility within and to the Global South: alternative
histories, labour policies, and citizenship regimes', July 19  20,
2013, University of Cologne (see attachment). Submission deadline is
March 30, 2013. Abstracts should be sent to Michaela Pelican
(mpelican@xxxxxxxxxxxx) and Heike Drotbohm
(heike.drotbohm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

> Please circulate
> Kind regards,
> Michaela and Heike
> --
> PD Dr. Heike Drotbohm
> Vertretungsprofessur Ethnologie und Kulturanthropologie
> Universität Konstanz
> Fachbereich Geschichte und Soziologie
> Raum F 518
> Telefon: (++49) (0)7531 / 88-2093
>
> Mail: heike.drotbohm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.ethno.uni-freiburg.de/mitarbeiter/wissmit/drotbohm

 CALL FOR PAPERS
Mobility within and to the Global South:
alternative histories, labour policies, and citizenship regimes
International Workshop
19.  20.07.2013, University of Cologne, Germany
Jun.-Prof. Dr. Michaela Pelican, University of Cologne
PD Dr. Heike Drotbohm, University of Freiburg
One of the current trends of international migration is its reorientation
towards new geographical destinations. These alternative topographies
ought to be seen in the context of global transitions to a new multipolar
world order, in which European and North American destinations gradually
lose their force of attraction.
Entry into the so-called Global North has become highly restricted,
controlling state practices are applied more rigidly, and expressions of
xenophobia and islamophobia are more common than ever before. Hence,
migrants – or those aspiring towards migration – search for promising
opportunities in other geographical areas, such as destinations in the
so-called Global South. These may include not only individuals from within
the Global South but also from the Global North, such as Southern
Europeans who have been particularly affected by the global financial
crisis.
Often, historical linkages between countries of origin and countries of
destination, as well as the practical and legal conditions of entry and
stay in a country may influence a migrant's choice. Different countries,
however, follow different objectives in devising their migration and
labour policies. At the same time they apply alternative forms of entry
control and access to citizenship. For example, several Gulf States and
Southeast Asian countries favour economic over political considerations,
and curtail migrants' rights to the economic sphere.
>From a migrant's perspective, some countries may be particularly
attractive because of the relative ease to acquire an entry visa and the
prospect of employment. In other cases it is the availability of
educational programmes coupled with business opportunities that
contribute to the countries' attraction. And in some countries of the
Global South, migrants find familiar social and religious networks, which
may facilitate long-term settlement. However, we also observe new forms
of racism, sometimes articulated on the grounds of former territorial
claims or postcolonial xenophobia.
It is the aim of this workshop to bring together different case studies of
mobility within the Global South as well as North-South migration, to pay
special attention to the logics of alternative histories, labour policies,
and citizenship regimes in the different countries, as well as their
impact on migrants' lives.
We expect proposals to the following themes: theoretical and conceptual
frameworks for studying mobility within and to the Global South (1),
education and labour policies (2), migration law and citizenship regimes
(3), integration into social and religious networks (4).
Please submit a statement of interest and abstract latest by March 30,
2013 to Michaela Pelican (mpelican@xxxxxxxxxxxx) and Heike Drotbohm
(heike.drotbohm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

__._,_.___
 | através de email | Responder através da web | Adicionar um novo tópico
Mensagens neste tópico (1)
Atividade nos últimos dias:     * Novos usuários 5
Visite seu Grupo

[As opiniões veiculadas não expressam (necessariamente) a opinião dos
organizadores da lista do NIEM]

Para cancelar sua assinatura desse grupo, favor enviar um e-mail para:

To cancel your subscription to this group, please send an e-mail to:

para enviar mensagens / to send messages: niem_rj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Trocar para: Só Texto, Resenha Diária • Sair do grupo • Termos de uso
.