[colombiamigra] DOCUMENTO SECUESTRO Y MIGRACION EN COLOMBIA

  • From: william mejia <wmejia8a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 19:41:48 -0700 (PDT)

          Hola, acabo de recibir información de este documento publicado por el
CEDE de los Andes, puede ser de interés para algunos/as de ustedes. Es
descargable en la dirección registrada abajo.

saludos

william

Kidnaps
 and Migration: Evidence from Colombia

              Date:
              2010-03-16

              By:
              Catherine Rodríguez

      Edgar Villa

                http://d.repec.org/n?u=RePEc:col:000089:006933&r=mig

              Using a unique
data set from the major Colombian cities collected between 2000-2003 and
 with information on more than 16,000 households, this paper studies the
 relationship between the kidnap risk a household faces with its
migration decisions. We find evidence that exposure to such risk induces
 households to react sending some of their members to an international
destination but not necessarily to a domestic one. This finding is
robust to the inclusion of several household characteristics usual in
the migration literature and an alternative measure of kidnap risk. The
implication of our findings suggest a possible “brain drain” from
Colombia.