[cochiselinux]

  • From: Dick Sears <searsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:56:40 -0700

 In a senior moment, I agreed to write a review
of "Learn Fedora Linux in 24 Hours;"  yeah.....
That was in January, and I'm just digging in now.
The machine was a completely normal Gateway G7-500,
13MB, 256K, 500 MHz, with the W2K OS.

I used the two "publisher's edition" disks bound in the
back of the book. They were Core 1. I had the install
replace all existing partitions.

Try no. 1 blew the MBR.  I did an "fdisk mbr" using a DOS
6.2 disk downloaded from one of the boot disk web sites.

Try no. 2 failed to load Anaconda.

Try no. 3 failed to load about a dozen files from Disk 1,
mostly, but not all, from the "developers" package.
The "Time remaining" figure bounced between the extremes
265 and 2855 minutes.  Disk 2 loaded uneventfully. On this
old and very ordinary machine, Fedora could not find a
sound card.  It had no driver for the Lexmark Z25 printer,
although it had the stuff for older and later Lexmarks.
Picking 2 or 3 machines like the Z31 and Z41, it printed
blank pages. The communications module couldn't grok the
cox.net domain.

At least as provided in the back of THIS book, Fedora Core 1
has all the smoothness and robustness of, say, Windows 1.0.
I suspect that the book publisher simply screwed up - created
the CDs from corrupted files. Fedora Core 1 wouldn't have been
released if these problems with an industry standard box were
evident.

Ahhhh, Red Hat 9.0 looks sublime by comparison .......

Monday I'll try a downloaded set of Core 2.

Incidentally, I sent almost this same e-mail a couple of days ago,
but mistakenly addressed it to freelists.com.. It never bounced!
Probably went to Nepal or somewhere equally obscure.