[cochiselinux] Linux courses, spring 2004

  • From: "Prevett, Larry" <Prevettl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:53:31 -0700

Here's what's going on with the Linux courses at Cochise.

We're offering two Linux courses during the second 8-week session.
If you want to take them sign up in the next week or so. Be sure
to use the "CRN" numbers when registering for the courses.

The "Installing and Using Linux" class is actually the second
part and is more like a "Linux system administration and networking =
services" class. Setting up the web, ftp, DNS, dhcp, mail, and samba =
servers will also
be covered (briefly!). If we can get enough people to take the course, =
then
Jeff can teach it - otherwise I'll just keep things afloat until the =
summer session starts.=20

The summer courses are actually going to be listed in the summer catalog =
(yes it's true!) and I expect the Installing and Using Linux course and =
the Linux Security course to both be popular.

The other course being offered for the first time is the GIS course that
several have expressed interest in.

lp

Here's the blurb:

 Cochise College will be offering two Linux classes during the 2nd =
8-week session starting in March.

    Installing and Using Linux, Part I (2 credits)
    MAT 198F, section 72
    Second 8-week session (March 10 - May 5)
    CRN: 15216
    Days: Mo/We Time: 6pm - 8pm Room: S-MATH/1
    Book: Learning Red Hat Linux, 3rd edition O'Reilly Books
    Instructor: Jeffrey Denton
    This course is packed with useful information and tips for both =
beginning and experienced users.
    The class is limited to 16 students. Sign up now!

    Intro to Geographical Information Systems (1 credit)
    GLG 192, section 71
    Second 8-week session (March 11 - May 4)
    CRN: 15196
    Days: Tuesday Time: 6pm - 8pm Room: S-MATH/1
    Instructor: L. Prevett

    This is an introduction to GIS principles and capabilities using the =
Geographic Resources Analysis Support System, Version 5 (GRASS5). Short =
discussions followed by exact keystrokes are used to cover topics such =
as digital maps, raster data, vector data, site data, aerial photography =
and remote sensing, image processing, graphics production, programming =
and web applications, geostatistics with R, GPS data.

    Originally developed by the U.S. Army Construction Engineering =
Research Laboratories (USA-CERL, 1982-1995) as one of the first GIS =
applications, GRASS has evolved into a powerful utility with a wide =
range of applications in many different areas of scientific research. =
GRASS has been released to the public as Open Source software released =
under GNU General Public License (GPL) and runs on the Linux operating =
system, as well as many other platforms.

    It is currently used in academic and commercial settings around the =
world, as well as many governmental agencies including NASA, NOAA, USDA, =
DLR, CSIRO, the National Park Service, the U.S. Census Bureau, USGS, and =
many environmental consulting companies.

    If you are interested in a powerful but freely available GIS =
application that interfaces with other high-powered Unix applications =
for mathematics and science, then you will be interested in this class.

    The class is limited to 16 students.