[cochiselinux] Keeping a Background Process Going After Logging Off

  • From: "Prevett, Larry" <Prevettl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:10:02 -0700

|To start the server, I log on as Root and
|enter the following line:

|/usr/local/sbin/pure-ftpd -a -b -Z &

I don't know this app but I scanned the documentation at
http://www.pureftpd.org/README
and I think you should try using a -B switch.
 '-B': Have the standalone server start in background (daemonization).

so

 /usr/local/sbin/pure-ftpd -a -b -Z -B &

If that doesn't work, only other thing I can think of:=20
is xinetd involved?
(do you have an entry for pure-ftpd in /etc/xinetd.d/?
If so, what does it look like?)

Did you install as an rpm or compile from source?
If you compiled from source what were the configuration
options?

./configure --with-??  --without-??

hth,

lp

p.s.

For some processes where you can't put the "&" at=20
the end of the command (like an scp or ftp command that
requires you to log in first) you can run
the command without the "&", log in (ow whatever)=20
CTRL-Z, bg 1=20
(or whatever number the job is) and that will allow you
to exit and have the process persist. I've never
heard of anyone having to start an ftp server this way
though ...