[classicsnw] Ancient World Seminar: October 19th, Muriel Moser (Frankfurt)

  • From: CRASIS <crasis.aws@xxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 13:21:18 +0200

Dear all,

We cordially invite you to this month's Ancient World Seminar. On
Monday *October
19th*, our guest *dr. Muriel Moser *from the* Goethe Universität in
Frankfurt* will give the following lecture:

*The past as a political resource in Greece under Roman rule*

In this paper, I shall be presenting my new research project on the role of
local elites in the (ab)use of the past in the public and religious sphere
in Roman Greece from 100 B.C. to A.D. 100. The aim of the project is to
challenge the dominant view of a Roman cultural imperialism (and their
ideas of what it meant to be Greek) and Greek passivity or powerlessness in
Roman Greece as regards the use of the Greek past in public narratives. In
discussing examples from Olympia and Argos, (and briefly Athens), I will
make a case for locating agency of change and the choice of the
'historical' narratives and motifs more firmly in the local political and
economic context: I argue that in Greece under Roman rule, local elites,
individuals and groups, mobilised the immaterial resource of the admired
(Greek) past to improve their political and economic situation under Roman
rule.

*Since finishing her PhD in Classics at Cambridge University in 2008, **Muriel
Moser* <http://www.geschichte.uni-frankfurt.de/43209471/10_Inhalt_Moser>*
has enjoyed a fellowship at the historical institute of the Universität zu
Köln and is now a lecturer and researcher in Ancient History at the
Goethe-Universität Frankfurt. Since the start of 2015, she has been the
director of the subproject *The past as a political resource: rememberinng
as a strategy in Greece under Roman rule
<http://www.geschichte.uni-frankfurt.de/55632897/SFB-Projekt>*, part of the
larger Sonderforschunsbereich 1095 project *Discourses of Weakness and
Resource Regimes*. This project examines how Greek elites and priesthoods
used the (Greek) past as a political resource under Roman rule. Another
field of dr. Moser’s interest is the later Roman empire, particularly the
relationship between emperor(s) and the senates of Rome and Constantinople.*

​As usual, the lecture starts at *16:15* and will be held in Room 130 of
the Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies (Oude Boteringestraat 38,
Groningen). Drinks will be served afterwards.

With kind regards,

The CRASIS organizing committee​

--
CRASIS is the Groningen Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies in Culture,
Religion and Society of the Graeco-Roman World. Follow CRASIS on Facebook