[citw150] citw150 L3Q5

  • From: Nanette Witchell <nannook609@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:36:41 -0800 (PST)

I picked the Societal Issue of what is being done to help the technological
underclass gain access to the Internet. I think this will help to get children
who cannot afford internet access at home the chance to use the internet.  Most
of us take the internet connection we have for granted.  I even complain about
my dial-up connection.  But in today?s society a lot of people cannot even
afford that.
  Overview of the Schools and Libraries Program
  The Schools and Libraries Program of the Universal Service Fund, commonly
known as "E-Rate," is administered by the Universal Service Administrative
Company (USAC) under the direction of the Federal Communications Commission
(FCC), and provides discounts to assist most schools and libraries in the
United States to obtain affordable telecommunications and Internet access. It
is one of four support programs funded through a Universal Service fee charged
to companies that provide interstate and/or international telecommunications
services.

The Schools and Libraries Program supports connectivity - the conduit or
pipeline for communications using telecommunications services and/or the
Internet. Funding is requested under four categories of service:
telecommunications services, Internet access, internal connections, and basic
maintenance of internal connections. Discounts for support depend on the level
of poverty and the urban/rural status of the population served and range from
20% to 90% of the costs of eligible services. Eligible schools, school
districts and libraries may apply individually or as part of a consortium.

Applicants must provide additional resources including end-user equipment
(e.g., computers, telephones, etc.), software, professional development, and
the other elements that are necessary to utilize the connectivity funded by the
Schools and Libraries Program.
  http://www.universalservice.org/sl/about/overview-program.aspx

Nanette Witchell nannook609@xxxxxxxxx
Unknown Author: Inspirational Funny Quotations
Never make the same mistake twice or you'll never get around to all of them.