[citw150] Re: L6_Q6

  • From: Matt Schmeltzer <schmoose71@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:33:25 -0800 (PST)

Telnet was an older text style way to connect to the internet.  It used to be
the method for many online games, I should know I've had to use it before.
Basically it's a network protocol that allows a direct connect with a certain
website.  It's quite true that this particular system is quite hard to move
around in.  Thank goodness they developed and excelled with GUI (Graphical User
Interface).  Just imagine trying to surf the net with no graphical buttons
available, and in most cases, no real way to tell what you type.  Well, thank
goodness we're out of that stoneage now.

Jamie Cripe <jamiecripe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Tell us what you learned about
Telnet's uses:

I honestly don't really comprehend what this is used for, but I guess it is
a program that allows you to connect to a remote computer, type commands,
and be able to do things such as move files.
http://www.elated.com/tutorials/management/unix/basic/

Where did you practice?

I practiced on the site that the instructor gave -
telnet://materiamagica.com:23/ - by starting a character for the game.

Tell us what happened. Mention at least one thing you learned about Telnet
while you were using it.

Well, I just opened the link in a new window which then automatically
brought up a Telnet window. It gave instructions to enter a name, email,
etc., and choose a character, race, class, etc. I learned that when typing,
you cannot see anything you've typed as you are typing it, which is
extremely annoying. I also learned that I really don't know what the use of
Telnet is and that I will probably never use it.

Jamie M. Cripe
jamiecripe@xxxxxxxxxxx

"The dictate of the Light says: 'Know yourself and what you are.' The Dark
replies, 'By all means, but then become afraid.'"

Matt Schmeltzer
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
-Robert Frost