[citw150] L3Q6 Sleuthing

  • From: Donna Satterlee <satterld@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: InternetLiteracyListserv <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:49:03 -0500 (EST)

Discreetdata.com is like an internet private eye.  They charge money to look up
addresses, phone numbers, etc, and try to find missing persons.  I had mixed
feelings about this, because I don't want anyone to use this on me, however, I
can understand how if you owe someone money, they want to find you to get it!
It seems to be the equivalent of hiring a private eye, but it's much more
accessible.  It makes me wary because of stalkers.

http://www.discreetdata.com/

another website that is like an online private eye:
http://www.web-detective.com/

Here's a story of how one girl who was lured by an abuser online was also saved
by an online sleuth.  This just shows how reinforces my ambivalence about
something like discreetdata.com.  an abuser can use it as easily as it can be
used for a good purpose.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/perverted_justice/perverted_justice17.html

Donna Satterlee
satterld@xxxxxxxxxxxx
"Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it" - Winston Churchill