[citw150] L3_Q5 Encryption

  • From: "J. Chinault" <chinaulj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: listserv <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 00:04:12 -0700 (PDT)

I read about Encryption. To protect yourself from people reading your messages
and private information you can encrypt them. Encryption scrambles the
information and can only be read if the encryption key is known. There is a
debate about the national encryption policy. The debate is weather the
government should have the right to decipher encrypted messages. I believe that
the government should not be allowed to develop programs that can decipher
encrypted messages. Once there is a program that can do this, it won't be long
before hackers have the information and one of the most secure privacy features
on the internet is lost. A website that discusses risks of "key recovery" for
encryption is http://www.cdt.org/crypto/risks98/.

Joe Chinault

Yahoo! for Good