[citw150] Re: Citw 150 L3 Q5

  • From: MP Thomas <mpt4600@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 22:24:40 -0700 (PDT)

I agree 100%. Freedom of speech is what this country is based on. Plus, I was
in the military so I have a big problem with cuss words rolling off my toungue.

Matthew P Thomas

Heather Johnson <howspj22@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In 1995 the Supreme Court ruled against the Communications Decency Act (CDA) in
the attempt to censor language over the internet. CDA wanted to dissallow use
of any swear words.  The act did not state anything against child pornography
or internet stalking since there were already laws biding against these
actions.  They were just voting against the first ammendment rights.  Well,
this would have banned books on the internet, such as 'Catcher in the Rye',
which was a sixth grade reading project for me. If I'm in college now and not
allowed to read 'Catcher in the Rye' on the internet, should my sixth grade
teacher fired for using that book for a reading assignment. Further more it
would have gone against all 1st Ammendment rights, and a lot of Americans
beliefs. I firmly agree with the Supreme Courts decision to allow freedom of
speech over the net, just as it is in paper books. If somebody really has a
problem with swear words, then I suggest th ey get a good supply of food
 and
 water and lock themselves in there homes with no sort of media equipment
around, because it is everywhere, and I'm fine with that. Oh, and parents,
watch your kids when their on the net :)

Yahoo! for Good

Yahoo! for Good