[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q4 Internet Hoax

  • From: Tracyschoch@xxxxxxx
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 22:23:12 EDT

Tracy Schoch
10/03/2005
CITW 150 L3 Q4

    1.  Tell your classmates an interesting (or  upsetting) Internet virus,
hoax or spam you found out about by visiting one of  the sites listed in this
exercise.   Send it to your classmates via the listserv.  Use the subject line
CITW 150 L3 Q  4.  Be sure to include the full  URL.
The Internet hoax that I decided to talk to my  classmates about was the one
titled âAre UPS Uniforms Being Bought by  Terrorists?â  In this article
that
I  found through _http://www.scambusters.com/_ (http://www.scambusters.com/)
It mentioned that emails were being  distributed since June of 2003 claiming a
large volume of UPS uniforms were sold  on eBay to a unknown buyer.  In the
emails the author claims that these uniforms ($32,000 worth) are being used by
 Al Qaeda members to impersonate UPS workers for committing terrorist acts on
the  United States people.  This little  write up said that sometimes this
email comes signed by  a supposed Department of Homeland  Security official.
All of which are  confirmed to be nothing more than hoaxes.
If you are interested to read more about this  topic, please see click the
link below to be directed to the appropriate  article.
_http://www.scambusters.com/urban-legends/ups.html_
(http://www.scambusters.com/urban-legends/ups.html)