[cifnmedia] Firefighter Ziegler begins retirement

  • From: Sean & Kimberly Aaron <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CIFN LIST <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 15:49:00 -0700 (PDT)

Firefighter Ziegler begins retirement
By Susan Muñoz CDJ
After 35 years with the Clinton Fire Department, Ron Ziegler spent his last day
on the job last Friday and is heading into retirement.
Starting in 1969, he volunteered with the department for 11 years while working
construction and a couple of other side jobs. In 1980 he began working full
time with the Department.
“I work every third day for a complete 24-hour shift,” Ziegler said. “I
stay here at the firehouse and listen to the radio. If a fire call comes in, I
make the call and then I also drive the trucks and operate the pump.”
Since his start three and a half decades ago, he has experienced a number of
changes.
“The trucks are all different and much easier to operate,” he said. “It
seems that every day, they come up with better ideas and solutions on how to
fight fires. There is always new training methods for us to stay up to date
with the proper procedures.”
Now that retirement is here, Ziegler should have plenty of time to travel in
his 5th wheel camper, along with his wife Dianne. The Ziegler’s have three
children, Deborah Brady, of Oklahoma City, Okla.; Kelly Gearhart, of Dixon; and
Steve Ziegler, of South Carolina. The Ziegler’s also have six grandchildren.
“I plan to travel from one kid to another to visit,” he said. “Our first
trip is planned in the beginning of June and we will be going to South
Carolina.”
“I really have enjoyed working here at the Fire Department. It has been an
interesting job. I have been through a lot of sad times but their has also been
a lot of good times.”

Sean A. Aaron (CIFN*1)
Central Illinois Fire Network
cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx