[cifnmedia] Community rallies to help burn victim who lost her mother in fire

  • From: Sean & Kimberly Aaron <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CIFN LIST <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 07:49:42 -0800 (PST)

Local News

Community rallies to help burn victim who lost her mother in fire

By BILL GRIMES, Daily News
ST. ELMO - While St. Elmo mourns the loss of one of its own, the town also is
making arrangements to help another.

The Fayette County Bank in St. Elmo has set up a fund for Briana Cain, the
15-year-old girl who was critically burned in a trailer fire early Sunday
morning - a fire that took the life of her mother.

Officials have said that Linda Barr, 56, was able to rouse her daughter from
the home before succumbing to smoke inhalation. Funeral services for Barr will
be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Kessel Funeral Home in St. Elmo.

Memorials may be sent to The Briana Cain Fund, c/o Fayette County Bank, 320
North Main, St. Elmo, IL 62458. Bank President Dan Childress said the fund will
be set up this morning.

"This gives people who want to donate a central location. We'll make it as easy
as possible for people to help," Childress said.

Help of another kind is also available at St. Elmo High School, where Briana is
a sophomore.

"We are assessing the situation," Principal Brian Garrard said. "We're having
our teachers and guidance counselor available to speak with the students.

"If we seem to need more, we can bring in other counseling opportunities
throughout the week."

Briana remained in critical condition today at Memorial Medical Center in
Springfield. Sister-in-law Kim Logue said the teen's vital signs are stable,
and she is expected to make a full recovery.

Bill Grimes can be reached at 217-347-7151 ext. 132 or
bgrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sean A. Aaron (CIFN*1)
Central Illinois Fire Network
cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx