[CIAM-F6-Working_Group] Re: Gliders final task

  • From: Robert Herzog <v679093@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ciam-f6-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:01:56 +0200

 Le 22/08/2010 14:59, Guy Revel a écrit :
Dear all,

As you know, the final HTG task has been devised to last a set time and was an emergency measure in view of WAG 2011. Now we know WAG 2011 will not take place, actually the bid process for WAG 2013 will be launched at the FAI General Conference in Dublin, Ireland, October 5 to 10th. Any rule change valid for WAG 2013 must be adopted at the forthcoming CIAM Plenary next March and the proposal sent to FAI before November 15th this year.

Just a reminder : F6 events are meant to couple pilots satisfaction and spectators enjoyment. The events must be demanding to the competitors but, at the same time, easily understood and attractive to the uninformed spectator and/or Media. This in itself is a reason why the F6 denomination (F6A, F6B, F6D) must _never_ appear outside the rules book. You may attract a Media writer of the local TV station with a Hand Launch Gliders or Artistic Aerobatics competition, never with a F6B or F6A event. Please stick to these official competition names.

Now we have another proposal for a HTG final round and that is *speed*. This has been tested through Tomas Bartovsky in Prague and, much to my surprise, the event was more attractive to F3K pilots than I would have thought.
The basic proposal is as follows:
- *_Task_* : Fly a single length speed course (length still to be defined, probably around 75 to 80 metres), launching at the finish line, flying downwind to the start virtual vertical plane (base "A" in F3B jargon), then entering the speed course toward "Base B". Time in seconds and tenths. - *_Procedure_* : It would be a man-to-man task, flying two together, the winner of two runs acceeds to the next stage. So two runs if the same pilot wins both of them, three if each pilot wins one of the first two. Launch simultaneously (say within the customary 3 seconds), enter the speed course not later than 30 seconds after launch signal. 8 pilots acceed to the final task. 3 wins will be necessary to access the next stage. After the previous tasks, the finalists are ranked 1 to 8 accordign to their classification. Then the pilots are organised in two groups: 1 - 3 - 5 - 7 & 2 - 4 - 6 - 8 At quarter finals, Pilot 1 flies against pilot 8, pilot 3 against pilot 6, pilot 5 against pilot 4 and pilot 7 against pilot 2. So the two opponents fly twice, if each of them wins one flight, a third one sets the fate. You will note that although the flights are timed, actual times are unimportant, only the win counts.
At the end of this round, 4 pilots remain for the semi-finals.
At semi-finals the same procedure is repeated, i.e. winner of 1-8 competes against winner of 5-4 and winner of 3-6 against winner of 5-4. Then two pilots remain and step into the grand final

With this proposal, the total task duration is not set, but is limited to a known quantity and should never exceed 30 minutes with ample time to comment and even interview the pilots.

As said above, we need a formal proposal to be sent to FAI/CIAM early November, sdo we will proceed in two stages, starting with the basic proposal, then refining details (such as course length) and wording.

*So the only question at this time: Are you in favour of this basic proposal ?
*Whether you vote yes or no, please comment.

*_Deadline : September 15_*, so as to allow time for discussing details and setting up a formal, properly written proposal.

Regards,

Guy R.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5387 (20100823) __________

http://www.eset.com
I find it a nice idea. But it shall be tested at some significant event. Can't you (or Tomas) convince the organiser of the upcoming "German Open F3K" to try this with a few volunteers ? This event would be an invaluable opportunity to spread the F6 word outside the small group of F6-aware people...
Robert

--
Robert Herzog
Elewijtsesteenweg 190