[chaoscope] Re: hardware interface

  • From: Laurent Laborde <kerdezixe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 09:34:04 +0100

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:29 AM, jeffrey <dubfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As a source of visual effects for projections and light shows, even
> the real time preview window in Chaoscope is substantially better
> anything else I've seen used by VJs.  The ability to manipulate
> parameters while running an animation is something out of myth as far
> as I'm concerned.
>
> If the controls could be modulated by some external hardware such as
> pots on MIDI interfaces, then we'd have something that would render
> obsolete practically all previous forms of "eye candy".  Actually I'm
> sure most of you would agree that "eye candy" is a hopelessly
> understated description of fractals and iterative art in general, but
> the addition of real time, tactile control over these beasts (sheep..)
> would be a giant leap.
>
> How are the controls implemented?  Is it a TK interface?  What would
> the next step be if I wanted to access them from the OS?  Ideally I
> would want to make a standalone control surface interface that can be
> 'patched' to Chaoscope.  I only know Python and a cursory
> understanding of OSs, so I'm just looking for an overview at this
> point.  Any help on where to go from here?

Hi !
If you're into this kind of stuff, you should definitivelly try
http://www.processing.org/
The langage is some kind of lighweight java (it is, in fact, pure java
simplified by a powerfull kind-of-code-preprocessor and a big set of
lib for graphic, midi, sound, video, hardware stuff like surface
control).
Here : http://www.processing.org/ (tons of demo available)

If you know python, you should be able to code processing (just add
some curly-brace, some things and stuff, and here you go!)
Unfortunally, there is no "chaoscope" running with processing, and as
chaoscope is not open source, it will be hard to rewrite it for
chaoscope :(

--
Laurent "ker2x" Laborde
Sysadmin & DBA at http://www.over-blog.com/