[chadfree] Update Windows Media Player to avoid surprises

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Computer_Help_and_Discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, chadfree@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:41:37 -0700

Update Windows Media Player to avoid surprises
WindowsSecrets.com/comp/050811

Late in 2004, computer experts noticed that a popular Windows Media Player
video file was actually a silent delivery mechanism infecting millions of PC
users with spyware.

On Jan. 3, 2005, security researcher Ben Edelman revealed what was happening to
people who played this video file in WMP. After clicking the OK button on a
single, legitimate-looking "browser update" dialog box, "My computer quickly
became contaminated with the most spyware programs I had ever received in a
single sitting," he said.
++ There is more on the web site.

Mike the mod

chadfree-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx