[ceevol] NHM seminar of possible interest to CEE/UCL: Parasites and Food Webs

  • From: "Dempster, Jane" <j.dempster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "biosciences-all@xxxxxxxxx" <biosciences-all@xxxxxxxxx>, "ceevol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ceevol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LERN LondonEvolution <londonevolution@xxxxxxxxx>, Jo Keogh <jo.Keogh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:45:41 +0000

For All Colleagues in Biosciences, CEE & LERN members and all at ZSL (c/o Jo
Keogh)

Dear All

Forwarding on behalf of Tim Littlewood at the NHM for your possible interest.

Best regards
Jane Dempster

Natural History Museum
Zoology Seminars

TUESDAY 27th March, 12pm

Neil Chalmers Science Seminar Room (DC.LG16)
external visitors ask Staff to guide you to DC2 or head for the Cocoon

Parasites and Food Webs

Kevin LAFFERTY
Department of Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology, University of California,
Santa Barbara

Ecologists use food webs to help make sense of the complexity of the natural
world and the food web has become the key conceptual framework for ecology.
Recently, parasitologists have pointed out that parasites make up half of
biodiversity, yet are almost never included in food webs.  Here, I will discuss
how food webs affect parasites, how parasites affect predator-prey
interactions, how parasites affect the complexity of food webs and finally what
parasites can tell us about ecological complexity. I argue that most of what we
have learned about food webs, and therefore ecology, is incomplete without a
full consideration of parasites.

D.T.J. Littlewood
Parasitic Worms Group
Zoology DC1_706 | The Natural History Museum | Cromwell Road | London SW7 5BD,
UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 7942 5742 | Fax: +44 (0)20 7942 5054
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/staff-directory/zoology/t-littlewood/index.htm