[cdvdburn] A quick summary before Wakefield

  • From: "Steffen Huber" <steffen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cdvdburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:06:27 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

before you all prepare for your yearly visit to Wakefield (unfortunately,
I can't make it this year), a few notes...

- BD-R seems to work as good as BD-RE. No Double Layer (50GB)
  media seems to be available in Germany at the moment, so I can't
  test this. The work still needed for the first beta release involves
  typical routine work so shouldn't take too long.

- DVD+R testing has so far brought up mixed results. Drive behaviour
  is very different, and many are not really behaving in a way expected
  when reading the MMC standard. I'm adding a few specific DVD+R
  options to the configurable driver system, which should hopefully
  cover the field. I think I have found the reason why it sometimes fails
  and sometimes works for some of you.

- testing of the patched CDFSSoftATAPI also brought up mixed results.
  It basically didn't work at all for one tester (with different devices!), but
  worked fine for another. I'm still recovering from the shock ;-)

- the S-ATA-to-IDE adapter I'm currently using is not ideal insofar it
  plugs into the motherboard IDE socket and only lets you connect one
  S-ATA device to it. I have a few other adapters on order which directly
  plug into the S-ATA device, so that you can use two per IDE socket

So now: visit the Wakefield Show and buy Artworks 2.8!

Steffen Huber, hubersn Software

--
Steffen Huber           LambdaComm System - Welcome to Trollinger Country
steffen@xxxxxxxxxxxx