[cas_announce] Meade LPI cameras

  • From: bengel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cas_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:32:48 -0400

Quite serendipitiously, I ran across the Discovery Store closing in the
Kenwood mall. It was the last day they were open and they were selling
the store bare. One of the nifty items they had for sale was Meade LPI
imagers (with the "Autostar Suite"). In fact, they had about 24 of them
for sale - brand new, in the box. So I went ahead and bought ALL of
them at a substantial discount.

So I am now selling them in a "mini" fund-raising effort for the 27"
telescope/observatory project. I am making no money on this whats-so-
ever, all proceeds will be donated to the society for the 27" project.
Of the 24 I bought, I have about 10 left.

These cameras are new, in the box, never opened. They come with the
imager head, software and misc cables to hook up the camera to your
computer and/or your meade telescope.

You can find more details here (this is *exactly* the product I am
selling).... http://www.meade.com/autostar/lpi.html

You DO NOT have to have a Meade telescope to use the imager! It fits
into any 1.25" (and also .965) eyepiece tube. The camera has an
exposure range of 1/1000 to 16 seconds.

*Please NOTE that the imager currently does NOT work with Windows
Vista. I've read that Meade plans to release a driver update soon to
support it. I have personally run it successfully on Windows XP and
Windows 98.

I am selling them @ 50% off retail for $50 each. I don't need to say
this but is a GREAT deal.

If you've ever had any kind of inkling to fool around with digital
imaging with your telescope - this is the easiest and cheapest way to
get started. Note these will only image planetary objects (i.e. moon,
Jupiter), although some people have had success imaging some of the
brighter messier objects.

They also make great autoguiders for anyone who has a "deep sky"
imager.

Contact me if you want one.... I am initially limiting sale to 1 camera
per membership. They are on a 1st come, 1st serve basis. I will hold it
for you until the next meeting (were you can pick it up from me), after
that it goes back on the market.

If I don't (for some reason) sell them out to the membership, then I
will sell whatever is left at scope-out, then eBay.