[Civil Air Patrol] Re: Sortie Roster for Saturday and Sunday

  • From: "John Heida" <jheida@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:47:33 -0600

All:

Just a couple of notes:

1.    Please bring your log books on Friday (in case of any questions about
flight hours) and Saturday/Sunday (for a sign-off by the CFI).

2.    A pilot questionnaire is attached.  Please complete and bring to class
on Friday.

3.    Please bring a copy of your CAP membership card, your FAA license and
your medical to class on Friday.

4.    The outlook for Saturday and Sunday is VFR and light winds.

5.    The flying will be out of Millard.  One CFI with two C182 candidates.
Each identified sortie will actually be two (sub)sorties (a sortie is engine
start to engine shutdown).  Maneuvers will be performed in the West Practice
Area, with radar service from TRACON (VFR Flight Following from the Omaha
Approach controllers).  If the West Practice Area is saturated with trainers
out of MLE and OFF, we'll continue on to North of SCB.  Pilot switches can
be made at AHQ, FET, and SCB.

6.    If possible, refuel at FET (good time to switch pilots too) as part of
each identified sortie.  The last sortie on Saturday and Sunday will refuel
at FET just prior to returning to MLE.

6.    Each sortie team will meet at Hangar F14, the current home of N833CP
(CAP Flight 2633).  Ask for the lock combo on Friday.  If you don't have a
key to get through the fence, we'll arrange for someone to let you in.  Show
up at least 15 minutes before your sortie start time.

7.    SAFETY FIRST!  At all times, we'll be proactive about safety - on the
ground and in the air.

8.    Enjoy the flying.  The Cessna 182 Skylane is a High Performance
airplane (see FAR 61.31 (f)).  It is not a complex airplane (see FAR 61.31
(e)) because it has a fixed gear.  It does have a constant speed propeller.
IAW CAPR 60-1, Para. 3-3, a, 3), being PIC on the C182 requires a minimum of
100 hrs PIC time, with at least 10 hrs of PIC time and 25 landings in high
performance aircraft.  IAW NEWG C-182 Training Program, the minimum training
requirements are as follows:

<200 hrs total PIC time and no high performance time:             10 hrs
dual

>200 hrs total PIC time and no high performance or complex time:  5 hrs dual

<400 hrs total PIC time with high performance or complex time:    5 hrs dual

>400 hrs total PIC time with high performance or complex time:    2 hrs dual

Of course, after meeting the training requirement, a successful Form 5 check
ride must be accomplished.  Successful completion of the Form 5 check ride
also allows the CFI to make a High Performance endorsement in your logbook
if needed.

This week-end will allow one or two pilots to complete their training
requirements.  For most, additional training will be required.  I encourage
each of you to arrange to complete such training with a CAP instructor
pilot.  Bob Todd, Phil Jossi, Ward Shires, Skip Hove, Fred Meier, Sam
Greenfield, Bob Hillyer, Butch Rohren and I - all CFIs in the Omaha/Lincoln
area will be happy to accommodate you on a schedule permitting basis (see
attached Pilot Roster for CFIs).  There is no cost for the training as the
CFIs volunteer their time.  Unless the training is part of a USAF sponsored
mission, the cost for the airplane is $85.00 per hour, wet.  You, as the
student, will be billed.  Compared to paying $190.00 per hour for commercial
training in a C182T, it's a heck of a benefit.

9.    See you at OCS tomorrow at 1830 hrs.

JOHN MITCHELL HEIDA, LT. COL., CAP

CAP INSTRUCTOR PILOT/CHECK PILOT

ATP/CFI/CFII/MEI

NEWG C-182 Training Program,