<CT> Re: some questions

  • From: mwenechanga@xxxxxxxx
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 19:39:16 -0700

> 1 Can anyone tell me how to format a hard drive in preparation for a
> new OS? Its currently got DOS 6.22 on it. Is there as DOS command
> for this?

The dos command to format a disk is
     format.exe
if you want to format your hardrive to get
rid of everything but still boot into dos, use
     format c:/s/u/q/v:dsikname
(replace 'diskname' with whatever you want
the hdd to be labelled, or just leave off the
 '/v:name' altogether)

WARNING: FORMATTING GETS RID OF EVERYTHING

> 2 Can anyone tell me what key to press to stop my system from
> booting to win 3.x automatically? I want to be able to halt the boot
process
> at the DOS prompt if possible.

Just hold shift as it's booting.
In order to have even more control, try going
to DOS and typing
     edit autoexec.bat
find where it says 'win.com', 'win', 'load win.com', or 'load win'
delete that line and replace it with these two:
     choice.com /t:y,5 Load Windows?
     if not errorlevel 2 c:\windows\win.com
you can change the /t:y,5 -- change the 5 to any
number of seconds before timing out to windows,
replace the 'y' with 'n' to have it default to DOS.

-Changa
Keep America clean. Eat a pigeon.