<CT> Re: WfW -> Win98 net via parallel

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:54:47 +0200

> Subject: <CT> WfW -> Win98 net via parallel
> From: William C Andrews <uncwilly@xxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:37:00 EDT

> Since we are on the subject of net working....

> I have krusty old laptop that I would like to hook up to net with my
> slick Athalon.  Problem is, the laptop is limited in options.

> Run down on the limiting factors.
> Laptop has:
> 486slcs/2 50mhz
> 8meg RAM
> PC-DOS 2000
> WfW 3.11 (with Calmira)
> serial port tied up by mouse (blown PS/2 ports)

Sounds like the fuse for the PS/2 ports is blown. They're usually some=20
tiny surface mount thingy, called F(something).

> 14.4 modem on MB
> parallel port (original specs only) (on switch boxes to various items)
> loads of HD space

> Desktop:
> AMD Athalon 1.1 GHz
> 640 MB RAM
> Win98SE
> standard set of ports (serial, parallel [also tied into switch boxes],
> USB, [need network NMR on CNR])
> v90 modem on CNR or NMR
>=20
> I have a parallel 'Interlink' cable and enough straight throughs.

I've had good luck with ol' Norton Commander 5.0, which runs fine even=20
in WinNT/2k, with Commander Link working virtually everywhere (on a=20
serial connection, though - even a 386SX-20 with only a 16450 UART=20
manages almost the full speed of 115200 bps, quite impressive). You=20
could also try the trusty Interlnk (Athlon)/Intersvr (486) combo.

Stephan
--=20
Stephan Gro=DFkla=DF (7bit: Grossklass) an der Hauptkiste:
P3B-F, P3-500@620, 512MB, 19+8GB HDD; Win2k, WfW 3.11 + Calmira II 3.2
eMail: mailto:jgrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx | Webmaster: http://www.i24.com/
Home: http://jgrossklass.bei.t-online.de/