<CT> Re: [Fwd: Calmira 3.1a as Shell Does not Free Audio Devices]

  • From: Erwin Dokter <edokter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 21:13:13 +0100

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

> Included below is a posting from comp.os.ms-windows.setup.win3x. BTW
> I've also noticed that audio events do not work any longer after Calmira
> has crashed, and when I restart Calmira after a crash (FTaskman -->
> launch ctaskman --> restart Calmira? yes), shutting down Windows results
> in a GPF (in vdo16(...).acm) and I have to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart
> the computer; interestingly this also happens when no exit windows sound
> is being used.

When the shell crashes, it is always a good idea to restart Windows as
soon as possible. Some of these sound drivers, most notably vdo16xx.acm,
have faulty shutdown code. Calmira has problems with several of these
drivers shutting down. The solution is to remove the driver from the
control panel applet. I have VDO Player installed, but no driver. Maybe
the driver is a leftover from an old VDO Player version.

> From: mstroberg@xxxxxxxx (Mark W. Stroberg)
> Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.setup.win3x
> Subject: Calmira 3.1a as Shell Does not Free Audio Devices
> Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 02:30:11 GMT
>
>    I do not know if this is the proper newsgroup to ask this question,
> but since it does have something to do win Win 3.x setup, I thought I
> would ask here.
>    I have calmira 3.1 set up on wfw 3.11. When I run calmira as the
> shell program, I've noticed that certain audio application such as
> net2phone 8.67 and winplay3 (an MP3 player) report that the audio
> device is busy and therefore fail to function properly. This does not
> happen when calmira is run after starting windows, only when it is the
> shell program. Has anyone else noticed this problem, and is there a
> solution (other than simply not running calmira as shell)?

This I know what the problem is, but I don't know the exact cause, just
how to solve it... if you would be so kind to post this information back
to the newsgroup:

There seems to be a conflict between the Delphi runtime and Network DDE,
at least when Network DDE is loaded on startup. Go into Control Panel >
Network. Click the Startup button. Then DISable the 'Start Network DDE'
option and klick OK twice and restart Windows. That should take care of
the sound problem.

-- Erwin Dokter
   mailto:edokter@xxxxxxx
   http://members.home.nl/edokter