<CT> Re: DV1#6 - Off Topic Warning

  • From: Pete <firststep@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 00:17:39 +0100

Hi All,

I guess this is off topic for Calmira but given the low cost PC angle.

There is a company (UK) offering an upfront, nice new, 500mhz system
for 100 pounds as long as you sign-up to a contract to fill out a
questionaire every month for a 2 year period. (After 2 years the PC is
totally yours).

This company is attempting (and is succeeding) to set up similar
schemes in Australia, Canada and possibly the US.

* BE WARNED *
Here in the UK they are being taken to court over tens of thousands of
undelivered PCs by the DTI (Dept. Trade and Industry.)

The company may be trading under the names 'Smartalk' or 'Info4PC'.

I can not say yet whether it is a con or not - but to keep this short
- if anyone wants further info then please e.mail me off list.

Pete
firststep@xxxxxxxxx