<CT> Re: DSL?

  • From: "COLIN PARSONS" <colinfparsons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:35:22 -0000

> I've been using my 3.1 machine to get email for years. The fact that it's
> running on 3.1 makes it pretty safe from virus attack. But, I want to get
> a DSL line in for the rest of the web and am wondering if I can install a
> network card and keep getting my POP3 mail on the machine using W3.1?
>
> Can it be done? And, what do I need, where to look?
>
> Windows 3.1 [not WFWG].
>
> Al Hall

Hi,

Further to my earlier email, the problem is going to be getting Win 3.1
using a TCPIP stack.  It was this which created the pressure for introducing
Win3.11 (For work groups) and Win32S a 32 bit upgrade for Win 3.1.  It is
possible, but I know from previous experiance it's not easy. You need an old
3Com ISA network card, or any other with DOS drivers, but 3Com are probably
the best supported.  You then need an email client, which can recognise a
socket based network connection, most dial up ones can't!

Its like the old Irish saying, on being asked the way, "Well I wouldnt't
have started from here!"

Cheers

Colin