[cad-linux-dev] Re: undo and version control

  • From: Bruno Postle <bruno@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD linux development <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 16:46:48 +0100

On Tue 07-Sep-2004 at 10:24 -0500, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> > How do you propose to accomplish undo and version control ?

> Undo would be dependent on the program.

My plan was that since any changes to the drawing would involve
creating a temporary file, I could just 'diff' it with the old file
and store the results in a journal (or journal directory).

Then performing an undo would be as simple as retrieving the most
recent diff/patch and applying it.  Undo/redo history would be
infinite and can even survive restarting the application or a
reboot.

A sophisticated application could have a fine-grained undo that
worked at the entity level.  Clever tricks like highlighting all the
entities that have changed in the last 5 minutes would be easy too.

> Version control with a directory-based format would be very
> straightforward simply using CVS or SVN.

Yep

--
Bruno