[cad-linux-dev] connectors are not just importers

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD linux development <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:37:50 -0500

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Bruno Postle
# on Tuesday 24 August 2004 10:20 am:

>[snip hub and node model]
>
>> In this scenario, how are the rhizopod-format databases affected by a
>> format-incompatible upgrade to the 3D relational modeling program? =A0Th=
ey
>> aren't.
>
>That's correct so long as applications are always importing and
>exporting to and from the format rather than accessing the data
>directly.

I think you're missing my point here.  Your concerns are valid, but I think=
=20
the "version per-entity" issue mostly addresses a hub which is more=20
complicated than rhizopod.

The 3D modeling program would *never* address the rhizopod data directly=20
(unless it plans to do it in a very simple way.)  Also, you should not see=
=20
the rhizopod<->sturgeon connector as simply an import/export application.  =
It=20
should rather be seen as a daemon which does a real-time translation betwee=
n=20
the two.

The hub-node model comes from import/export concerns, but when the connecto=
rs=20
are between persistent databases, they don't have to be as dumb as when the=
y=20
hook to dwg/ps/svg files.

The point of the hub-is-a-node principle is that you have to make sacrifice=
s=20
and difficult decisions to "talk-down" to simpler formats.  Wouldn't you=20
rather have those issues handled by a connector than have to deal with them=
=20
directly in your code?

So, the applications address the data in the hub which is most suited to th=
eir=20
task.  Thus, the 3D relational modeling program would NOT cause=20
version-incompatible changes to show up in the rhizopod directory.

All applications in the scenario *are* addressing the data directly, but th=
ey=20
get to see it in the shape that is best suited to them.

=2D-Eric
=2D-=20
"Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value."
                                        --Murphy's Constant