[cad-linux-dev] Re: Addressability

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD linux development <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:08:05 -0500

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Bruno Postle
# on Tuesday 24 August 2004 10:20 am:

>2. Addressability, every item of data has a persistent location.
>
>=A0 =A0"Drawings" can be referenced by pointing to a directory (useful
>=A0 =A0for xref/block/symbol/viewports).

Possibly, but xrefs, blocks, and viewports each have properties that drawin=
gs=20
don't.

>=A0 =A0"Elements" can be referenced by pointing to files (eg. the address
>=A0 =A0of a layer definition is the location of a file containing that
>=A0 =A0definition).

Okay, but if I import a dwg into an existing directory and want to use it's=
=20
style (e.g. layer color, etc) definitions, but the existing style object wi=
th=20
that name points to a global location and my user has permission to alter=20
that file, what happens?  Does the global definition get over-written?

If not, why not?  If the import is instructed to over-write local but not=20
global definitions, what distinquishes them?

Taking the simpler local-styles-only approach, you can still use global sty=
les=20
via symlinks, or even copies maintained by some daemon.   This might=20
complicate the usage when it's complicated, but it simplifies it when it's=
=20
simple.

"Simple things Simple and Hard things Possible"

>=A0 =A0"Attributes" of elements need to be referenced using a new syntax.
>=A0 =A0I'm suggesting repurposing the URI Fragment Identifier syntax, so
>=A0 =A0the coordinates of the first point of a line can be found at
>=A0 =A0"./path/to/file-containing-line.yml#points/0".

Is this somehow part of the spec, or would it be a syntax used by a particu=
lar=20
API?

=2D-Eric
=2D-=20
"Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value."
                                        --Murphy's Constant