[burpg] BURPG new site computer

  • From: Dean De Carli <ddecarli@xxxxxx>
  • To: burpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 21:03:47 -0400

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone's summer is going well. It is that time of year to buy a
new computer for BURPG. Currently, we are using a very dated Toshiba
Satellite laptop. We had various problems this past year with it, such as
heat/ventilation concerns and more importantly it could not handle our
multithreaded server software. Because we would like to just have a "black
box" that the computer resides in and that we plug all of our servos and
sensors into, I would like to propose one of these:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/overview.html

They are these mini computers from intel that run Haswell processors. They
are great because:
- No case, so we may keep it very cool
- A Core i5 will be able to satisfy our needs
- Very small form factor, so ideally we will be able to just leave it in
the box with no big screen taking up space

I propose the 4th gen i5 model because I think that this will be the last
time we buy something for this purpose. However, they are a little pricey.
Can someone look for a good deal on one of these and also into a possibly
cheaper solution with the same benefits? Before someone suggests a mini-ITX
board:

http://electronicdesign.com/embedded/what-s-difference-between-mini-itx-and-intel-s-nuc-platform

They seem large compared to these, but idk. Basically I would like to know
if someone can find a better alternative to these NUC's.

Please report back your findings,

Dean A. De Carli
Boston University
Electrical Engineering 2016

BU EDF Student Technician
BU SEDS President
BU AIAA Vice President
Boston University Rocket Propulsion Group Systems Integration and
Electronics Lead Engineer